Is Trello compatible with Jaws?

eskagestad September 1, 2022

Hi! I am reaching out regarding Trello's compatibility with JAWS screen reader software. I saw a post from December, 2019 that says,

"Right now, you might notice some compatibility issues when using Trello with screen readers, as we are currently looking to improve this experience for the screen reader community" - Trello Support Response, December 2019

Are there any updates to improving screen reader compatibility for Trello? Are there other Atlassian products such as JIRA, that have better screen reader compatibility than Trello?

Thanks!

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Matthew Brennan
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 28, 2022

Hi there, we recently updated (July 2022) the VPAT for Trello and made it available here https://www.atlassian.com/accessibility

Over the last 12 months there has been a number of improvements made for screen reader support (JAWS, NVDA, VoiceOver) that are now reflected in that VPAT.

As the VPAT shows, we've made some significant improvements to keyboard accessibility and removed blockers keyboard users were previously experiencing. The same goes for improvements to text alternatives and labels for screen reader users.

We're actively working on improving our experience for all users, but there are still likely to be some issues in the current experience. If you do have any specific bugs you'd like to raise or call out, please take a look at our accessibility support portal and file a ticket.

Thanks
MB

Seann Ritzman September 29, 2022

This is awesome news, Matthew - thank you for the update.  I looked and didn't find anything providing that level of explanation and clarity!

Well done, Atlassian Team.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Vishaal S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 6, 2022

Hi there,

Welcome to the Trello community! 

Accessibility is definitely an area we can approve here at Trello, and we're working hard to ensure that it is 💪

If you could send over a video of the behaviour you've described via https://trello.com/contact, that would really help as well.

I'll forward all of your feedback to our product team so they're aware of exactly how these limitations are affecting users.

eskagestad September 6, 2022

Hi Vishaal,

This is not a bug report, and I am not a JAWs user.

I was simply doing research on Trello's overall compatibility with JAWs, as I am a fan of the product and many of my co-workers use JAWs regularly.

All I could find was the post I quoted above (link to original post: Trello all are supported by JAWS ? (atlassian.com))

Since that post was from 2019, I made a new one to see if there were any updates in approx. 3 years. 

So have there been any updates since 2019 regarding Trello's compatibility with JAWs?

Like Seann Ritzman likes this
Seann Ritzman September 28, 2022

I'm guessing it's still accessibility posturing with "we're still working hard" - but since there are no actual updates and a lacking response, that's a decent indicator of "no".

Atlassian: telling people "no" is not as bad as being non-committal.  If you are working on it - provide some details, or better yet, ASK the community for help.

If you are not actually working on it, or at least, not as a priority; then say as much.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events