Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inviting a large number of people to a Trello board

Deleted user February 23, 2018

Greetings, 

I am a fairly new Trello user and I have a question regarding inviting a large number of people to a Trello board.

Basically, I have created a main board, that contains a list with 3 cards that each lead to another board. So I am having 4 boards (the main one and the additional 3 that are linked to cards) that I would like a large number of people to invite to (about 1000).

My question is: what is the best way to invite people to those boards, given the following context?

- I am using the free version of Trello

- people are NOT supposed to be able to add or change any existing information

- they should be able to simply see the information

I have run some scenarios and I think the best way to do this is by using a shareable link, but I'm not quite sure - and, at the same time, I'm not sure what's the difference between having these people as members of one, very large team (which I think it should be applicable to each board), or members of the boards (especially given that we are talking about 4 boards).

Also, I have an additional question: in case the e-mail address that the people use for accessing the boards (or creating a Trello account for, if they don't have one already) is deactivated - they will no longer have access to the board, right? 

Thank you very much and I am looking forward to your answers :)

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Devon Henderson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 23, 2018

Hi @[deleted]!

Welcome to Trello :)

Since you don't want them to be able to edit the board's content, you'll want to NOT have them as members of the board, as members can edit boards in the free version. My suggestion would be to add your 4 boards to a team, set them as Team Visible, then add all of your expected users to that team. Make sure your board settings are set so that team members cannot add themselves to boards, too.

This way, they can all see the boards, but they cannot change them. And there's a setting on the Team page, under Members, for bulk-adding folks. It lets you paste in bulk Trello usernames or their email addresses, so if there's a way you can gather those all at once, that'd make this easy. Maybe a Google Forms quick form?

Let me know if you need help setting this up! I'm happy to assist :)

Deleted user February 25, 2018

Hello @Devon Henderson,

Thank you very much for you quick and very helpful answer – this was pretty much the way I figured I could add people.

However, I have one more additional question, for a better understanding and an overview of the options I have: can you please tell me why the above option is better than adding people via a shareable link (the one under members): http://prntscr.com/ijsya8 ?

Thank you very much & have a great day! :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events