In Trello, is there a way to convert a card to a checklist item of another card?

Jessica Witt November 10, 2017

I see there is an easy way to convert a checklist item to a card, but I have multiple occasions where I would like to convert  current card to an item in a checklist on an existing card.  Is this possible?  If not, is this feature in the current backlog? (I'd like to up-vote it)

3 answers

2 votes
Joni Hoadley October 17, 2020

I had this question, too. While trying to figure it out, I discovered that you can attach a card to another card. Perhaps that would be a good work-around for you. 

Steven Chevalia March 16, 2021

Simple and elegant answer to what I was just trying to figure out myself. Thanks! Got stuck on the idea that it had to be a checklist, but that's not true.

0 votes
Zach L_Anglois November 10, 2017

There are unofficial ways to do this through something like ButlerBot, which is a third-party tool that hooks directly into trello to give you some customizeable automation. So you could definitely get this to work.

Otherwise, have you tried just copying the link of the child card and pasting it into a list in the parent card? That way, you can navigate to the child card directly from the parent card at least.

Also, you can copy the parent card link and paste it on the child card to be able to go back to the parent card too.

Let me know if you would like me to help you set this up for yourself.

greg_schutz January 17, 2021

I created a list called ADD-XLIST and moved the card to the list. Then used share to copy the link and paste it in a checklist.

0 votes
Bridget
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
November 10, 2017

Hey @Jessica Witt,

Unfortunately not. However, since you can create multiple checklist items in one go by pasting multiple lines into the add checklist item field, all you really need is a list of card names to copy from.

One (kinda technical) option is that you can export your whole board to a JSON file (click share + more under actions to find that option) and then print a list of all card names fairly easily like this:

perl -MJSON -l -0 -e 'print $_->{name} for (@{decode_json(<STDIN>)->{cards}})' < board.json

This only works if your cards are one-liners because it won't print any attachments like descriptions or checklists.

If you have a premium license, there is also the option to export your cards to a .CSV to easily copy/paste into a checklist :) 

Good luck! 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events