Images pasted into cards are always duplicated

Dave May 2, 2023

Whenever I paste an image from clipboard into a card, specifically as an inline image within a comment, the image is always added again as a separate image.

So I end up with 2 of every image - one nicely displayed under my comment in the comment box, and the other added separately without a comment (so without any context).

Is this a bug or normal?

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Lara
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 3, 2023

Hi Dave,

Thanks for reaching out!

Just to confirm, are you referring to how the attachment is uploaded to the card separate from your comment?

If so, I'm afraid that's expected behaviour at the moment. If you attach (or paste) an image to your comment, that file will be uploaded to the card as an attachment, which is what you'll see under your comment.

I definitely understand that this can be confusing for users and I've passed your feedback onto our product team.

For now, you may want to click Hide details on the back of the card (above the comment box) so those actions aren't shown when you view card comments.

I hope that helps!

All the best,

Lara
The Trello Team

dayanvirpa June 7, 2023

This is bad behavior. I don't know how Atlassian thought this was a good idea. It's literally confusing readers, causing misreads and more commentary, often needing more screenshots being pasted. This is a vicious cycle. 

If an image is pasted inline, and will show inline, it should only show inline.

There's no reason to also show it in a separate comment... that's just visual noise for a reader, and most will assume it's a separate screenshot or being set for some separate reason when it's purely automatic.

Atlassian needs a UX person to review these decisions before releasing them...

What does 'Hide Details' hide besides duplicate images? What if it's hiding something non-duplicate that someone should see? This is kind of insane UI/UX behavior overall here.

Like # people like this
DP August 18, 2023

I agree. Atlassian please do something about it. Tks.

Like monicamjudd likes this
monicamjudd August 31, 2023

Well, at least now I know it isn't just me. :)

Arnas August 31, 2023

It's not just you. My entire team noticed this annoyance as well.

Andrew Ghabour
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 28, 2024

'Hide Details' will stop other updates from appearing. 

Please fix, we don't need a screen shot of a screenshot being uploaded, but do want updated when a task is completed. 

1 vote
Neil Stanley September 19, 2023

My number 1 use for Trello is pasting screen shots and this recent change in behaviour means I'm now having to look for an alternative to Trello. PLEASE change it.

1 vote
Arnas June 27, 2023

I agree completely. This new behaviour has been very confusing.

0 votes
Neil Stanley March 24, 2024

This solved it for me: disable the "What You See Is What You Get" (WYSIWYG)  editor here: https://trello.com/my/labs.

0 votes
Eddie
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 17, 2023

I'm with yall, this is pretty annoying and confusing. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events