Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I would like to be able attach an email to a card

Timothy Walsh April 30, 2018

Hello Trello fans,

I would like to have the capability to attach one or more emails to a card. Note, this is not the same thing as creating a new card from an email (which I understand is already possible).

I have a rather long workflow, and several cards (contracts) which take several months to move through that workflow. At certain points, people send me emails which relate to these contracts. Sometimes they are the trigger for the card to move from one phase of the workflow (list) to the next. I would like to be able to attach the email (with attachments) to the cards as I move them from one list to the next.

Please let me know if you would also like this feature, or if it is possible to do this already. I'm using gmail, so if it can be done from there, that would be great.

Tim

3 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Devon Henderson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 30, 2018

Hi Timothy! 

Each Trello card has an email address associated with it, and any emails you send to that address have their content added as a comment and its attachments added to the card as attachments. Open the card, then in the card's sidebar, at the bottom, you'll see Share and more... Click that, then under Email for this card is an address you can copy.

What I like to do is add the email address for important cards as a contact in Gmail. Then I can forward any important emails to that address easily and its content and attachments end up on the card. I always start the contact's name with Trello, too, so that I can just type "Trello" in the To: field and choose from the list.

If you want to have a link back to that particular email, just copy the URL and paste it into the message body before you hit send.

screenshot.png

Timothy Walsh May 21, 2018

Thanks Devon,

That works a treat :-)

Tim

Steve Hastings November 19, 2018

Hi Devon and Tim, thank you for this discussion of earlier this year. My client wants to use this approach but the only problem is that Confluence cannot see or search for the attachments or email text that come in from emails this way through Trello. They would have to open the attachment and save it to say desktop then load it into a confluence page, which sort of means they could have just copied the attachment from the original email in the first place. Apologies if I've missed something here!. Can you see a better way to get those attachments recognised by the Confluence page? Many thanks...Steve

P.S. It is a great pity that Confluence Cloud cannot accept emails directly into a page as Confluence Server can. Such a shame.

Devon Henderson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 6, 2019

Hi @Steve Hastings! Apologies for the horrendously late reply.

I wish I could help more, but I’m not a user of Confluence so I’m sadly completely useless when trying to solve this problem :( Have you hit up the Confluence section of this site? They have their own Community Champions that are well-versed in that particular product and who might be able to help you more than me.

Best of luck finding an answer!

Steve Hastings January 6, 2019

Hi Devon. Thank you for your advice. Much appreciated. Kind Rgds, Steve

Ken Rossi March 25, 2019

@Devon Henderson Hi, so I tried forwarding email to a card directly. The only time that the entire email gets sent to a card is when I initiate the email or when I respond. None of the copied reply or the fwd: gets to the card.

Any ideas how I can do that? When a client responds to me I am trying to forward that email to the trello card unfortunately, the only thing that gets added to the card is the subject. 

Nathan Folly April 12, 2019

Hey Ken,

I had the same issue. The following workflow resolved this for me:

After initiating the forwarding, you'll see the original content inside a "quote" level.

Select entire content, then "decrease quote level". Where to find this depends on the mail program you're using.

This should make the original content visible in trello.

Best,

Max

Devon Henderson
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 23, 2019

@Ken Rossi Hmm, what email client are you using? If there is any way you can get video of this happening, I'd be happy to help work it out! It definitely sounds like it's not working like it should. It should at least send the forwarded email body, let alone the bodies of other replies/forwards within that one.

Chris Conroy October 1, 2019

Thanks Max, that worked for me. Was driving me crazy!

ac March 9, 2021

@Devon Henderson do you have an automated way in Zapier to add the Trello card email address to the Google contact? or do you do it manually? :( thank you!!

Jessica April 8, 2021

@Devon Henderson > Hi! I tried this and something indeed got sent to the card, but the entire thing was blank. It only showed the title of the mail Nothing else. I'm using Apple Mail. Is that mail client perhaps not compatible?

Jessica April 8, 2021

@Devon Henderson >> Sorry, I should have read all the comments first. Max' solution completely solved my issue too. Just a shame that the formatting disappears completely which makes it a bit harder to read and determine who wrote what. Thanks for your help guys!

1 vote
marc -Collabello--Phase Locked-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 3, 2018

@Timothy Walshyou can do that, but it is a bit complicated.  Basically, Gmail allows you to get a link to a specific email:

You need to prepare a link like:

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#search/rfc822msgid: 

This rfc822msgid looks like: rfc822msgid:20050329231145.62086.mail@mail.emailprovider.com

More information here:

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7190?hl=en

Once you have this link, you can insert/attach this into your card.

0 votes
Denise Brown June 20, 2020

You could also use zapier to search your email for a common statement eg  “project xyz” and every time it finds that statement to add it to a specific trello card. You may have to crest a Zap for each project 

@Devon Henderson 

@marc 

@Timothy Walsh 

@Chris Conway 

@

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events