I'm trying to create a rule that will move a parent card when certain conditions are met

Deleted user April 13, 2022

I'm using Trello for managing agile projects.  We typically have our project "deliverables" captured as features, with the feature being completed when all of the children cards are complete.

I'm trying to build in an automated step where the parent card is moved to our user acceptance table when all of the children cards are complete, but I can't seem to find a trigger that allows me to create an action when children cards are complete.

Is this possible to do?  If it is, what do I need to do for the trigger? I understand how to use the move function in rules.

1 answer

0 votes
milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 13, 2022

@[deleted] 

This would require the children cards to appear as cardlinks in a checklist on the parent card. When child card is completed then trigger an automation to check the parent card item. Have a trigger set on the part checklist to move the card when checklist is completed. 

Deleted user April 13, 2022

Okay this is helpful in that it sounds like I need to utilize a checklist and won't be able to just utilize the existing parent/child relationships between the cards.

It sounds like a rule that looks something like this should work:
when checklist "Children Cards" is completed in a card by anyone, move the card to the top of list "User Acceptance Testing"

Does that sound right?

Ops Bot April 14, 2022

Utilizing checklists are one of the easiest ways to micro manage automations.  I heavily use parent-child cards in our workflows and have them set up to check boxes on the parent card when a box on the child is completed.  That way the parent accurately reflects the workflow status of the child cards and have the checklists broken up in such a way that when they are completed it can move the parents location to another list and/or board.  Simple example:

chklst.pngoversight.png

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events