I'm being Automatically Subscribed when I comment on a card

I manage a team of people and we have a significant process that has lots of hooks into trello based on activity etc (thank the code gods for Zapier!) 

But in the last few days (less than a week) I've been getting notifications each time my teammates take actions on a card, even when I'm not assigned to the card or mentioned in the comment. I dug deeper and found that I'm now being subscribed to a card when I comment on the card. 

Is there a setting for this somewhere? Something I can turn off?

7 answers

Jumping on the band wagon here. The auto subscribe function every time I comment is a major pain. I can see why some people would want it and why others wont. If you are gonna keep it, please create the ability to turn it on or off. I only want to be notified if someone is mentioning me, or I have deliberately turned on the subscribe feature.

Thanks,

Please eliminate this annoying feature again ! I work with many Trello boards and adressing various people with @.. works fine. 

Getting constant notifications which are NOT adressed to me because of this auto-subscribe setting is a waste of time. 

A system-wide setting to turn this on/off would be appreciated. 

Yes, I agree, super annoying. Please make this configurable at least.

@Matthew N is this a new thing in Trello? This is VERY annoying as I have Zapier doing a lot of comments for me and I have no desire to be subscribed to these cards. 

Also, there should be a setting to change the default from subscribed to not subscribed... this is terrible and terribly annoying!

Matthew N Community Champion Nov 28, 2017

It is new, and from what I understand, it is a feature still being tested.  Once you uncheck the box, it won't appear checked anymore and you won't automatically be subscribed, which should also stop from being auto subscribed when the zap does it's work.

But is that unchecked "per card" or "for all cards on the board" or "for all cards in Trello" unless of course you check the box again... but I'm confused as it seems I need to uncheck the box for each card, correct?

This has been going on for almost a YEAR.  Trello Team, please get rid of this time-wasting, no-value-added feature!

1 vote
Matthew N Community Champion Oct 31, 2017

Hi Paul

When you comment on a card, there's a checkbox Subscribe me to updates on this card.  Once unchecked, you won't be subscribed, and that setting will remain default until you check the box or until your browser's cache is cleared.

Matthew N Community Champion Nov 02, 2017

Start writing a comment and it should appear. 

Hi.

Do you know how to stop this from happening in the first place? I am having the same problem and it is driving me insane! It is annoying to have to unsubscribe every time I comment on something, and apparently none of the other people I know have this problem. Is there a setting somewhere?

Thanks in advance

Matthew N Community Champion Nov 28, 2017

@Emma Brown - Once you start writing a comment, you should see the "Subscribe me to updates on this card." checkbox. Uncheck that before you save the card, and you won't be subscribed.  Then, it will remain unchecked for future comments.

@Matthew N  it looks like every time I comment on a card I have to untick the subscribe (now changed to "watch") box. Extremely annoying a feature that should be removed and be opt in instead of opt out. 

@Matthew N

Hi all, follow Matthew's instructions. Uncheck the box and the setting defaults to NOT watching cards after commenting. 

Thanks for the help Matthew...this was driving me nuts, like everyone else on this thread.

Logged in to say that this is annoying. I bet adding it to the settings would make us happy.

Lol, when i commented on this, the topic was marked as "watching"

then i unwatched, did that reply, and i was watching again haha

1 vote

We really need some global and bulk settings for this. It's infuriating having my screen and phone blow up for minutes at a time; then having to trawl through the notifications to see what's relevant. At the very least have it 'off' be default.

0 votes
Tobias L I'm New Here Nov 20, 2018

I have to totaly agree on how annoying this default setting is!!

Every new employee that’s is on boarding in Trello don’t know this “auto watch on comment” feature.

Imagine how after some weeks of commenting on hundreds of daily updated cards leading to totally ruin your daily work ending up drowning in hundreds of notifications a day as we have hundreds of card updated every day.

Worst of all this is that there is no way to search or filter all cards I am watching, so there is no simple way to un-watch all cards that I mistakenly have started watching.

At least this would be a fair quick update to just add an search/filter operator for finding all cards that I am watching.

Trello please solve this SOON!

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Jan 18, 2018 in Trello

How two Biomed teachers use Trello to execute on Project Lead The Way

This is the first of many Showcases highlighting incredible Atlassian users in Education! And Michael Burke and Josh Clemmer are setting the Showcase bar high. The pair of Biome...

47,400 views 0 9
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you