Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

I am looking for a way to update all dates in a custom field at once on all cards in that board

I have a butler rule stating that if a date is "set" in a custom field and that date is between "so many days from now" (ex: from 120 to 150) then to move that card to a specific list (ex: 120 days to 150 days).

So unfortunately the rule only goes off when the date is "set", so I would have to set the date again for the rule to go off again. 

Temporarily I set up a button that "sets" the custom field to itself, so essentially its sets itself, and the rule runs when I hit the button which is a success. However, I have to go into each card and press the button. Ets to ETs button.PNG

My question is: Is there a way to have that dynamic so as the date gets closer to today it continues to move to other lists. If not, is there a way to create a button that hits all the buttons on the cards?

2 answers

@Tim B_ 

You can get creative using due dates. I did it for a client in Spain so that the main working board remains clean the due date remains intact and an action to archive will be activated on a certain date.

0 votes
Iain Dooley Community Leader Jan 19, 2021

@Tim B_ You might be able to do this with due dates rather than custom fields. If your lists for example were months you could just move the card back one list and set the due date in 1 month's time:

2021-01-20 at 2.04 pm.pngIf you need to use due dates for something else and the dates need to be in custom fields, I did something similar for a construction company using Trellinator: they set the date on a card and it moves it to a list "X weeks" and then as the date approaches it moves back through the weeks.

Basically to achieve it, I schedule each of the moves that will be required the first time the date is set, then if the date is changed or the card is moved by another user, I clear it and redo the list. If they move a card into a list "X weeks" then it will set the date to the corresponding monday on which the week begins.

It was reasonably complicated but assuming your board structure is just lists with a set number of days or weeks the logic should translate, so I could redeploy the code for your business.

You can see more about Trellinator here:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Marketplace-Apps-Integrations/Introducing-Trellinator-Automate-Trello-with-Google-Apps-Script/ba-p/925271

Thank you for the reply, the effort is to create something that entails a little more automation. We do currently need the due dates for some things, and with the human error on due dates I can't account for everything my team will do. I don't need the custom date to move because it is going to stay static as their time runs down. I wish there was a way to get it to "if the {specific date} - {today's date} is a number between {these 2 numbers} then move to specified list, if not leave as is." Something more dynamic. I appreciate the help though.

@Tim B_ 

I did some that compares two variables and set a third variable as a response, simply because Butler cannot do if - then. The conditions are = and <. It uses Butler http Request action to an endpoint. The approach is probably something that will work for you. For dates you need to convert to yymmdd for the difference in days to be calculated. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Trello

Taco Tuesday: Your favorite Trello blog takeaway

Hello friends! From the community that brought you Welcome Wednesday, Throwback Thursday and Friday Fun, welcome to Taco Tuesday, a weekly discussion about all things Trello. The best part? One Tac...

235 views 11 10
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you