Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use wildcard in Trello's search for a card?

kenneth-loh March 30, 2018

For example, I want to search for all cards having the the text "stock" or "stocks" but without any references to the texts "invest", "investing", "investment", "investments", "investopedia" or anything that contains "invest".

Naturally I thought of using the search: stock* -invest* is:open

However, the search didn't seem to work as cards containing "investopedia" still appears in my search.

1 answer

0 votes
Francis Peixoto
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 4, 2018

I tested a theory in my job search board, and searching for "invest -jpmor is:open" gets me all the open cards with words that start with invest, but excludes the ones that have words starting with "jpmor" as I'm not interested in working for JPMorgan (as an example).

I didn't have to use a wildcard character to get the results I expected.

I couldn't get search results for "*morgan" so it looks like the search will look at the start of words to determine the results, AKA NOT a full text search.

Torben_trello
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 5, 2018

Correct - Right now we don't support partial string search, or wildcard search. Both would be awesome to have though.

Our search operators to help refine the search can found here: http://help.trello.com/article/808-searching-for-cards-all-boards

Daniel H September 16, 2021

Any plans to allow wildcard searching? We could really use it, we have over 10,000 cards.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events