How to use the link feature with automations - how to reduce click on back of card inefficiency

Alicia October 18, 2021

I like the feature that allows you to paste a url in the title and turn the entirety of the card into a clickable preview, but I don't like having to copy/paste the url as that requires leaving whatever I'm doing to go to the Trello board adding multiple clicks copying and pasting. I'm trying to use Trello as a tab/bookmark manager but none of the extensions or power-ups place the url in the title where the linked features requires it to function, they mainly add the url as an attachment, making the site link preview unusable and forcing an extra click opening the card to get to a clickable url. I don't want to have to open up the card to click a bookmark, it's inefficient.

Strangely, if I manually copy a card the new one will automatically has the link formatting, but if I set that up as an automation it doesn't work, despite asking it to do the same thing I'm able to do manually in one click. So far using Trello to manage bookmarks and tabs while keeping the linked card preview feature has been clunky and frustrating at best. Am I missing something?

TL:DR I want to store my bookmarks in a Trello list that preferably shows something of the site the card is bookmarking rather than just the URL in the title or description, and I don't want to have to open up the card and go to an attachment for every single bookmarked site I want to browse.

1 answer

0 votes
Hannah Humbert - Simpla Workflows
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 18, 2021

I had a play around with a few options to add cards to Trello when you're outside of Trello (like the desktop app shortcut, chrome extensions), and when creating a card with a URL as the title, it doesn't generate a link card as expected. 

It doesn't really answer your question directly, but try copying and pasting the link (ctrl + C / ctrl + V) like so:

create URL card.gif

You can also simply drag and drop the URL into the board to achieve the same result. You still need to navigate away from your webpage and into Trello, but you can use the desktop app which allows you to launch Trello using a keyboard shortcut, and you can set a default board to land on every time you open the app.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events