Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use special characters in a card's description?

Stef Hendrik February 8, 2021

I would like to use

* or > or -

without them messing up my card with needless formatting following some secret formula. Please?

Ever so often I feel Trello should have settings, which e. g. would allow one user to have Markup formatting and others - like me - to not be hindered in doing their stuff.

1 answer

0 votes
Soumyadeep Mandal - SaM
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 8, 2021

Hi @Stef Hendrik ,

Welcome to the Atlassian community!

Please have a look at this markdown documentation

https://help.trello.com/article/821-using-markdown-in-trello

Stef Hendrik February 9, 2021

Hi, thank you. You're suggesting I read the documentation of something I want to NOT use, in order to avoid it? Mmm... it seems that Markdown makes use of practically every special character in the book, thus making it impossible for anyone to use them in their intended function. And no option anywhere to turn this behavior off. Or is there?

(Trello is so full of well-intended stuff which makes it so super-frustrating to actually use. Think nanny-state on a small scale.)

Like Soumyadeep Mandal - SaM likes this
Soumyadeep Mandal - SaM
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 9, 2021

Hi @Stef Hendrik ,

Unfortunately, Trello doesn't allow you to disable markdown. More generally than Trellomarkdown is widely accepted and implemented all over the web as the quickest / slimmest way to format text. It can be a bear to get used to, but it is used nearly everywhere these days.

If you want to ask or suggest a new feature for Trello then ask Trello support

Stef Hendrik February 10, 2021

Thank you. Well, I've been using the internet for over 20 years and never come across "Markdown". Mind you, "use" as in not code or design. We're talking post-it notes here, which I want to scribble on, not format.

As for your suggestion, my problem is Trello has too many features already, making it cumbersome and restricting the potential user universe. It seems we need to go look for a fresher, simpler approach elsewhere.

Like Soumyadeep Mandal - SaM likes this
Soumyadeep Mandal - SaM
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 10, 2021

Hi @Stef Hendrik ,

You can give feedback and your feature request to the Trello team by visiting ask Trello support

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events