Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to set reminders for due dates which are created by butler automation?

Ashley Lloyd May 19, 2023

Hi,

I'm using butler automation to add due dates to cards. I explicitly need to add a reminder(*) associated with the due date.  However the "reminders" are automatically set to "none" when the due date is created using butler automation.

(Whereas) when setting a due date without butler automation, the due date automatically comes with a reminder "1 day before" by default. 

* By "reminder" I specifically mean the trello "due-date-reminder" function as opposed to some workaround solution (e.g. an email triggered by butler, which would not contain a link to the card)   I need the reminder to include a link to the card since I have 100's of cards to manage.

P.S. The fact that the "reminder" defaults to different settings depending on how it is added feels more like a bug than a feature.  Please forgive the somewhat direct, (but honest) feedback. 

2 answers

0 votes
Dreamsuite Mike
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 31, 2023

Hi @Ashley Lloyd 

I raised a support request for this and they are investigating.  

As it stands it has been confirmed that automation retains the reminder if a date is manually set on a card prior to the automation triggering, which doesn't help much. I have explained again the issue is that automations are used to set due dates in cards without them and if the reminder is always set to "None", that particular automation is almost useless.  

I will keep you updated with any new response I get 

Ashley Lloyd May 31, 2023

[duplicate post - deleted] 

Ashley Lloyd May 31, 2023

Hi @Dreamsuite Mike , thank you very much for looking into this, and also for raising a support ticket!

I am still very interested in this topic (as I am still manually adding reminders to my cards as a workaround), so yes please I would be very grateful if you could keep me informed. 

Thanks again for all your help, it really is appreciated!

P.S. Sorry for missing your comment below, I didn't get a notification as i want tagged, and i keep forgetting to come back here to check for updates!

Dreamsuite Mike
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 5, 2023

Hi @Ashley Lloyd 

This is the update I got...

Disappointing but not at all surprising given Atlassian's ever-increasing disregard for Trello and its users. 

The support guys really do their best to help but they can only do what they can within their scope.

Thank you for providing some steps and stating your points. I have found an existing feature request around this from years back and I have updated it along with the steps you shared. We have shared this information with the relevant team but there is no ETA on a fix.

As this isn't available now, and there is no workaround to it, there is the automation advice that you have previously shared in a forum which is to create a rule like this: "2 days before a card is due, add comment "@card This card is due in 2 days". 

If you are curious about how our team decides which requests we work on, we have published a blog post with detailed information on this process here: https://blog.trello.com/feature-requests-unite-support-and-product

If you'd like to see our latest features and future releases you can take a look at our roadmap at https://www.atlassian.com/roadmap/cloud?selectedProduct=trello. Our mobile boards are available at https://trello.com/b/5tj4qAvo/trello-ios-app and https://trello.com/b/ud59t1fL/trello-android-app.

Like Ashley Lloyd likes this
Ashley Lloyd June 5, 2023

Hi @Dreamsuite Mike 

Thank you for your efforts, and for keeping me updated.

Yes it's somewhat disappointing to hear their reply,  I guess I'll continue manually adding dates and hope they can prioritise this some day!

Thanks again for your help, it really is appreciated.

Best,
Ash

Dreamsuite Mike
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 5, 2023

It has inspired me to put together a library of automations to "replace" the due date reminder function.  Once done, I'll share with you...

Cheers,

Mike

Ashley Lloyd June 5, 2023

Hi @Dreamsuite Mike that's very kind of you, thanks again!

0 votes
Dreamsuite Mike
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 22, 2023

Hi Ashley, 

I have been creating automated solutions for many years for a lot of clients and never noticed this before.  I think you are right, this surely has to be a bug.  I can't think of why it would be set up like this.   I have checked in lots of workspaces and it does seem to be the case that notifications are switched off.  

In those systems, I have other automations to trigger notifications like posting a comment an hour before a card is due...

Can you take a few minutes to raise a support request for this and then the support guys can raise it internally (or give you an reason as to why it is like this by design)

https://trello.com/contact#/

Cheers,

Mike

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events