How to search for comments on Trello (not just cards)

Milan Madar July 28, 2017

Hi,

When I search my Trello board for a keyword, Im usually looking for a specific comment, that can be in any of the cards. But the seach results only shows cards, and when I click the card I get to the "top" of that card, so I still need to manually read through all the comments to find what I need. With 50+ comments in a card it's a pretty big job.

I tried filtering the cards but that only filters the card titles for the given keywords, so I still can't get to the specific comment.

So the question is: how can I make a search for a keyword and find the specific comment that has the keyword?

Thank you

3 answers

2 votes
Vítězslav Žurek August 28, 2019

Hello, is this ever going to be implemented? The suggested solution DOES NOT search in cards comments. It only shows cards with such keyword in description. Seems like the search results are the same with or without comment: prefix so I don't see any reason to use this.

David Bakkers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 11, 2021

Same as @Vítězslav Žurek 

Using 'comment:' as a special operator in the search section of a Trello board does absolutely nothing to cause the search to happen within the card comments at all. The same for the 'label:' operator, which the documentation says:

label: - Returns labeled cards. Trello will suggest labels for you if you start typing a name or color. For example, label:"FIX IT" will return cards with the label named “FIX IT”. #label also works.

It's nonsense. The 'label:' operator followed by anything produces no search results. Worse still, sometimes text after the operator will find cards that have no label!!

It looks like someone wrote that Searching for cards page based on an early draft of what those operators were supposed to do, not what they can actually do, and nobody has ever gotten around to updating the page and removing the misinformation.

0 votes
Romain H June 13, 2022

Now that we are in 2022, is there any way to research comments instead of cards

I would like to be able to type one "keyword" in the search bar, and to display in the results every comments where this keyword appear.

(not entire cards, only comments. In fact, there could be several results from one card)

This functionality would really be very powerful, it would propulse Trello on another level.

Matt Byrne October 10, 2022

You can search in comments if you use the search bar in top-right (i.e. not the card filter). It searches across all boards and includes comments.

Romain H October 10, 2022

I don't want to search in comments, I want to search for comments.

For Exemple, if there is a card which contains 4 different comments with the name "Romain", I would like to Get 4 different results for each comments of this card.

(not entire cards, only comments. In fact, there could be several results from one card)

Matt Byrne October 10, 2022

Right, sorry ... got it ... you want to see the hits themselves within the cars. Sorry, my bad. 

0 votes
Marta Galofre de Alos
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 30, 2017

Hi,

If you'd like to search for a specific keyword on a comment, you can go to the search bar in Trello and type comment:typekeywordhere.

That will show you the card where the comment appears. While the comment won't be highlighted, as a workaround, you can click on CMD+F on your keyboard to open up your browser's search bar. Then you can type in your keyword and you'll be able to find it. 

You can check this article to see other search locators that can be used in Trello: http://help.trello.com/article/808-searching-for-cards-all-boards

Hope that helps!

-Marta, Trello Support

Milan Madar July 31, 2017

Thank you for your answer. Thats what I've been doing so far. However when I get 8 cards as a result, each having 40-90 comments... Open each card, load up all the comments, make the browser search. It takes a lot of time. If I could see the list of those 20 comments that has the keyword, the process would be way faster.

Now I just don't bother going through that long process, its easier to research it again on google or ask my colleague again, or just skip the idea.

Another thing is that the browser search is weak, it doesnt have stemming and the keywords must be in the same order and position.

Anyway... Thank you for your advice.

Daniel A Young August 11, 2018

I just wanted to second Milan's question. I'd love a dedicated way of searching and locating comments, not just the card where the comment exists.

I like using the desktop app, but the workaround suggested doesn't work there!

Like # people like this
Zou Uuu October 20, 2019

I would like to second Milan's request

The "comment:@me" operator gives me the cards where there is a comment to me. But it not sorted by date. the "sort:edited" seems to not work properly

in Fact, any additional operator added to "comment:@me" mess up the results

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events