How to search for comments on Trello (not just cards)

Hi,

When I search my Trello board for a keyword, Im usually looking for a specific comment, that can be in any of the cards. But the seach results only shows cards, and when I click the card I get to the "top" of that card, so I still need to manually read through all the comments to find what I need. With 50+ comments in a card it's a pretty big job.

I tried filtering the cards but that only filters the card titles for the given keywords, so I still can't get to the specific comment.

So the question is: how can I make a search for a keyword and find the specific comment that has the keyword?

Thank you

1 answer

Hi,

If you'd like to search for a specific keyword on a comment, you can go to the search bar in Trello and type comment:typekeywordhere.

That will show you the card where the comment appears. While the comment won't be highlighted, as a workaround, you can click on CMD+F on your keyboard to open up your browser's search bar. Then you can type in your keyword and you'll be able to find it. 

You can check this article to see other search locators that can be used in Trello: http://help.trello.com/article/808-searching-for-cards-all-boards

Hope that helps!

-Marta, Trello Support

Thank you for your answer. Thats what I've been doing so far. However when I get 8 cards as a result, each having 40-90 comments... Open each card, load up all the comments, make the browser search. It takes a lot of time. If I could see the list of those 20 comments that has the keyword, the process would be way faster.

Now I just don't bother going through that long process, its easier to research it again on google or ask my colleague again, or just skip the idea.

Another thing is that the browser search is weak, it doesnt have stemming and the keywords must be in the same order and position.

Anyway... Thank you for your advice.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Fadoua M. Boualem
Published yesterday in Trello

Using Trello to manage events

As a Jira power user, I was at first doubtful that Trello could benefit my workflow. Jira already uses boards (ones you can customize!), so why would I even need to use Trello?! In this post you will...

428 views 5 6
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you