Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to run a specific rule?

Hesham Farg March 20, 2024

Hi,

I have a scenario for automating some actions and I need your help in formulating it.

On my planning board, I have the following lists:

1. "Today" list
2. "This Week" list
3. "This Month" list
4. "March" list

What I want to do is:

* When I click on the completion mark at any card in "today list", I want the card to move to the "March" list. I have already succeeded in doing this.

* However, when March ends, I will have to edit the automation and replace the "March" list with the "April" list.

Is there a better way to move the card from the "Today" list to the appropriate month list?

Thank you very much, I hope I explained the idea well.

2 answers

0 votes
Humashankar VJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 24, 2024

Sure @Hesham Farg - Let me simplify the same workflow

Meantime you can also try to go through this link which could be useful for you to make the use case solvable 

Automation variables | Trello | Atlassian Support

Hesham Farg March 25, 2024

@Humashankar VJ 

Okay, I read the article. What I understood is that I add those brackets to the list name. Is that correct?

Thank you again for your help, I appreciate it.

Like Humashankar VJ likes this
Humashankar VJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 25, 2024

Hi @Hesham Farg - Yes thats correct.

0 votes
Humashankar VJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 24, 2024

Hi @Hesham Farg 

Try Butler, which should absolutely help you with this.

As a substitute of hardcoding the "March" list in your automation rule, you can use a dynamic reference to the current month's list. Here's an updated rule:

* Trigger: Card is completed in "Today" list

* Action: Move card to the list named "This Month"

This way, when you complete a card in the "Today" list, it will automatically move to the list named after the current month (e.g., "March" for now). When April arrives, the card will move to the "April" list without needing to edit the automation rule!

This response inputs might also carry some research outcomes from the open source / blogs / user guide

Hope this helps - Happy to help further!!
Thank you very much and have a great one!

Warm regards

Hesham Farg March 24, 2024

Hi, @Humashankar VJ 

Thank you for your interest and help. However, I don't think I fully understood your answer. Could you please explain in more detail how to do that step?

Like Humashankar VJ likes this
Hesham Farg March 27, 2024

@Humashankar VJ 

Sorry, it didn't work. Am I supposed to change the list name in the board, or when I create the automation? Please note that I have a list named "This Month" and another list named "March". When April comes, it will be in a separate list named after it. I mean, the list "This Month" is not dynamic.

Humashankar VJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 27, 2024

Hi @Hesham Farg - Let me try to simplify it from a different perception 

Humashankar VJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 27, 2024

Hi @Hesham Farg 

To get started from your actual ask - 

I have already succeeded in doing this.

* However, when March ends, I will have to edit the automation and replace the "March" list with the "April" list.

Below is one of the suggestions:

• Can you try using this expression  -  {=format(dueDate(), "yyyy-MM")}
  • This helps upon clicking the completion mark on a card in the “Today” list, the rule evaluates the due date
  • The format(dueDate(), "yyyy-MM") function generates a list name in the format of ‘YYYY-MM’
  • Card is automatically moved to the corresponding month list
  • Once after each month ends - the rule continues to function perfectly, moving cards to the next month’s list

Please try it out and let me know the outcome. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events