Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to remove a guest from Trello Board

Lizelle Coombs August 17, 2018

I want to remove guests (not members) from Trello Boards, but cannot find a button or instruction on how to do that.  I can only find where to remove memebrs.

5 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Mykenna Cepek
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 29, 2018

This KB article suggests another approach that worked for me:

https://help.trello.com/article/779-removing-a-member-from-a-board

Note that you click (not right-click) on their avatar (at the top of the Board view) in order to get the pop-up menu with the "Remove from board..." choice.

It also works to click on the adjacent number-in-circle (Board Members list), and select the person from that list.

Klaas September 28, 2020

the question was about a guest, not a member.

Like # people like this
Lachlan Macnish October 20, 2020

I was able to remove guests by following the instructions provided.

Like Susana Martín Belmonte likes this
YaRu July 29, 2023

You have to upgrade to the premium account to have the 'remove' button displayed. you are not admin and don't have permission access if you are using a free account. There is a free-14 day trial for premium. 

M Smith Consulting LLC September 13, 2023

I was unable to remove a Guest using these directions. No "remove" option appeared.

I had to use the advice of community member Xiaoran Ching, below, to "click on the "share" button on the top right corner beside the horizontal list of "members" and "guests" avatars, select the dropdown and the "remove" option is in there."

Like # people like this
Park World December 30, 2023

I am curious why things become so much complicated after Trello becomes part of Atlassian. I still do not understand the concept of "board members" and "workspace members" and so many new definitions that are not helpful for normal users.

Like jojohansen likes this
6 votes
xiaoran cheng January 4, 2023

Click on the "share" button on the top right corner beside the horizontal list of "members" and "guests" avatars, 

select the dropdown and the "remove" option is in there.

Laura King January 24, 2023

Thank you, that worked!!

Alice March 30, 2023

I confirm, it works on guests (non-members), thanks a lot !

admin September 8, 2023

I have to do the same thing...remove a guest. I cannot find the "share" button. Can someone send a screenshot? Thanks in advance!

admin September 8, 2023

I found the video below this conversation and it worked. Thanks!

M Smith Consulting LLC September 13, 2023

This worked for me.

2 votes
Milan Skacel June 29, 2022

I have the same issue, when trying to remove Guest, after clicking on guest avatar I have no option to Remove 

1 vote
Luke Ridgway September 16, 2022

Hello, This is how I have just removed GUESTS from a board, hopefully you can view the screenrecording from the link below:

Removing Guests from Trello Board < shared from my google drive

Otherwise:

RemoveGuest.png

Hope this helps as I thought that it was not that obvious at first.

👍

0 votes
Matthew N
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 17, 2018

Hi Lizelle

Can you elaborate on what you mean by 'guest'?  Do you mean observer?

Lizelle Coombs August 17, 2018

Capture.PNG

Lizelle Coombs August 19, 2018

Hi there - I ended up making the person a member and then removing the member...a quick fix but it worked...

Klaas September 28, 2020

love the workaround - but it should not be necessary.

Klaas September 28, 2020

I mean - we're 2 years down the road and it isn't fixed (yet).

Kevin Quarshie October 14, 2020

Facing the same issue here. I'll try the add-to-remove quick-fix.

Like Iiro Kaksonen likes this
Iiro Kaksonen March 15, 2021

The quick fix does not work. 

1) from board's guest members -list i can press the remove button, the user disappears. When refreshing the page the user is back in the list. Browser's dev console says "unauthorized permission requested" but the UI does not show any error messages

2) i can press add to team -button. The user is moved to team members -list. I can press the remove user button from there -> the user is back in guest members list.

I DONT WANT to pay any extra since this is buggy. I would purchase a license if this wouldn't be so buggy. Trello have been live like 10 years and I cant remove guest from my boards. I see that very big SECURITY RISK.

Please fix asap.

Like Svyat Aleksandrovych likes this
Svyat Aleksandrovych January 20, 2022

There is another hint,

You need to choose a free trial and clean up the spaces.

Didn't find another way...

Like Katie Akers likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events