How to organize Trello Boards as a Law firm

Gema Álvarez Hernández July 20, 2022

Hello, we are interested in using Trello as a way to organize the information regarding our clients so as to have every document easily located and have a clean board. Would it be possible for us to get some help or examples?

3 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 20, 2022

@Gema Álvarez Hernández welcome to the community! my partner works at a law firm and I'm actually in the process of trying to build out some more content and templates on how lawyers can use Trello. (I don't have it ready yet, but if you want to follow my newsletter, you'll be the first to know.)

In the meantime, here are my tips and what I've worked with my partner on building for her firm. (Honestly very similar to what Jerry said above!)

1) Each list is a different stage the client goes through, so starting with Intake, etc.

2) Each card is a new client, starting in the first list at Intake. (You can automate all sorts of ways of getting these new cards onto the list - my personal favorite is using Forms by Trello, just send people to a link with a form, they fill it out, and it populates everything in a card in Trello.)

3) Use custom fields for contact details (you can map that out in the form from step 2). 

4) Use checklists and automation to add a new checklist to a card every time it moves to a new stage, so for instance, when it moves from New Leads to New Client, you can generate a specific checklist for things you do for a new client, and you can automatically set due dates and assign members. So if you have a new card come in as a lead, you can assign it to one person with a checklist and give it a due date of 3 days from now, then once the card moves to client, re-assign the member, add a new due date, and a new checklist, etc.

5) You can use labels to indicate specific things about a client, for example if you want to sort by type of case, or their location, etc. 

6) You can also utilize attachments to include links to anything in Clio (or any other tool that you need to use), Google Docs, PDFs, spreadsheets, etc. 

There's a ton of power-ups that could be really useful too. For instance, Crmble is a really good one for contact management if you don't wan to build out all of your own custom fields. And also Approvals for Trello - that lets you incorporate an approval process, so if you want to be able to stamp something off and visually show that before a card moves to another list, you could do that. 

Let me know if this helps, and if you want more detail, I'd be happy to meet and chat about it. And maybe this is the fire I need under my butt to finally make those templates and videos about Trello for Law Firms!

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jerry Ramdien July 20, 2022

Hi Gema,

You could create of every client a card first of all. The card can than be placed in a certain list (eg the list To call back or the list To Bill/invoice or Case closed etc, the list should follow your law process in your office).

On a card you can store all data/information in fields that can be created by you. For example the field name or new client or billed or hours spent etc.  In Trello you can make use of custom fields which is a standard functionality in Trello or the Power Up Amazing Fields which is fantastic to create all kinds of specific fields.

Good luck, Jerry

0 votes
ss kkk
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 4, 2024

Organize Trello boards for a law firm by creating separate boards for key functions like "Client Intake," "Case Management," and "Legal Research." Use labels, due dates, checklists, and comments for task management. Collaborate with team members, integrate with other tools, and conduct regular board reviews to ensure efficiency and organization.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events