Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to modify reminders?

Mikey_Kuplevatsky September 16, 2017

I'm relatively new to Trello and love how productive it makes me feel, whether I'm writing notes or creating tasks. However, one thing poorly implemented in my opinion is reminders. I'm wondering if there's a way for due date reminders to remind me at a custom time. Just one day in advance makes no sense to me. I should be able to do minutes, days, hours, etc. before the due date. Custom reminders, in a way. This is the only thing I feel like Trello implemented poorly. The more reminders I have set up, the more productive I am -- and Trello seems to have some random strict policy for no apparent reason for reminders.

2 answers

1 vote
Matthew N
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 18, 2017

Hey Mikey

Unfortunately, there's not a way to change the timing of the due date notifications within Trello. You could link your Trello due dates to an external calendar and change how you're notified that way, if you'd like. For this, I'd recommend checking out Trello.cronofy.com to link the calendar. 

Another option would be to add Butlerbot to your Trello board.  Then use a command to write a comment and mention you. The command would be something like 

the moment a card is due, post comment "@{creatorusername} This card is due!"

or

two hours before a card is due, post comment "@{creatorusername} This card is due!"

Mikey_Kuplevatsky September 18, 2017

Matthew,

Thanks incredibly for the helpful response!

Do you know of anywhere I can get support for creating the command for Butler? I've played around with it, but it seems to me that it has a bit of a learning curve.

Essentially, what I'd like to do is have it comment and notify me 6 hours before the event is due. I haven't found a way to do it through its settings, though. I'll try doing it some more.

The thing with Trello notifications is that it doesn't even notify me 24 hours in advance. It never has, and my notifications are enabled. Which is another reason I like the idea of Butler, along with the comment feature. Just can't figure it out.

Matthew N
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 18, 2017

If you're using the Butler Power Up.. don't  Instead, follow these instructions:

• Add Buterbot to your board using https://www.butlerfortrello.com/dashboard.html
    • A new list titled "Butler" will be added to your board, as well as a new user called "Butler Bot"
  • Add a new card to the Butler list, copy the exact below verbiage and paste as card title, replacing creatorusername with your own Trello username
    • six hours before a card is due, post comment "@{creatorusername} This card is due!"
  •  Butler will comment on the card saying "Understood" with a checkmark sticker.  You should now receive a comment 6 hours before every card is due that will mention you, so you will receive the notification. 

To test.. add a new card with a due date 7 hours from now. One hour later, you should get the comment (since it's 6 hours from due date)

Whoops. Meant to select yours as the answer. Thanks, it worked!

0 votes

Nice, thank you! It works.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events