It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How to efficiently and inexpensively mirror/sync cards between boards?

I've been wading in the water of card mirroring/syncing on Trello and finding it very murky.  Yes, there are power-ups that advertise mirroring cards between boards however I'm finding the following with them:

• most are expensive as a single user
  • difficult or tedious to setup
  • will not sync across teams (I have personal, home, and farm set up as teams)

A little background...I am a single user that has multiple teams as stated above.  This allows for an expanded and detailed interface versus trying to shove all these boards into a personal listing.  

I want to be able to mirror/sync a card (that might be a task) from a goals/planning board into a master scheduling board and this would have to work across teams.  This allows me to see the scheduling on one board from all of the goals/planning boards without having to go and look at each board/team individually.  Conversely, it would allow me to look at the individual goals/planning boards and see the progress that is noted in the master scheduling board.  

I hope this is clearer than mud!  I am totally open to suggestions on mirroring/syncing for my above stated structure.  I am also open to a complete revamp of my structure if I am missing a better way.  I really like Trello but I am finding it is taking too much of my time to manage and may have to bail if I can't fix this.  

Thanks for your help!

3 answers

I"m having this issue as well. I have several boards that have cards which need to reflect changes made from other "master" boards. I've done the connect card and this makes it easy to flip back and forth between the cards- but I also need attachments and files to upload seamlessly. Unfortunately every power up i've tried doesn't have the right answer to this or is priced beyond what I think is reasonable to spend. To be able to automate everything like I would like, I'd have to use several power ups with several different up charges. If you've found a way to circumvent this issue i'd love to know! It's very frustrating.

L.A. Gardner

Lauren, 

Well...I did find a way to circumvent this issue, however, it was pretty radical.  I left Trello like I did the others that I've tried.  

Not to sound like a crazy man, but my wife and I (both working professionals) have been embracing the entry level approaches to a Minimalist lifestyle for many reasons but primarily to de-clutter our lives from unconscious consumerism.  Being mindful of fighting my way through project planning/management with online tools has shown me that I spend way too much time (and money) doing so.  Way too many monthly fees for this, that, and whatever else and way too much time finding solutions to problems that shouldn't exist.  Time and money...I want to have/keep each as much as I can.

So what did I do???  I went old school!  I am a tech geek but now I am now an avid bullet journal user and oh how much easier (and fun!) it is.  It has been such a game changer in how I plan and manage home, work, and farm...very therapeutical.  I do supplement it with things like Google Calendar, Google Keep, Google Drive, and a five subject notebook.  With these tools, I've developed a simple system that has made me more productive, more mindful, and richer!  I've never been happier to finally make a move that has lessened my reliance on electronics.  Yes, I still  embrace my smartphone, tablet, laptops and all that, but I am simplifying how I use them and making them work for me...not me for them.  

Lauren, I'm sorry if I've wasted your time with my little rant.  But I just wanted to share that with you.  I hope you find what you're looking for.  May you have a very happy holiday season!

In my opinion sync between to boards\card option needs to be free, as now the suggested solutions are not free at all.
The worst part it's not even mentioned anywhere.
In additional there 5 Unito apps,  that no one knows what they do, and what their real cost. 

Maybe it's not a huge price, but it monthly price! For an app that makes one thing good, it's a really bad decision. 

0 votes

Hi there,

While card syncing isn't a native feature of Trello, you can add a link to the original card on the new card so that you can refer back to it easily. When you attach a link to a Trello card on another card, it will display a preview of that card and will show which board and list it belongs to.

You can also click on the "Connect cards" link to make it a 2-way link so that both cards link to each other.

Additionally, there are a few third-party Power-Ups that can help you keep cards in sync. You mentioned you're not finding these useful, but I just wanted to state again the ones that are available in case you haven't tried one of them:

Cardsync
Unito
Board Sync by Unito

Moreover, we recently launched an article on our blog where we explained how to connect boards together to achieve a more flexible workflow too: https://blog.trello.com/using-multiple-boards-for-a-super-flexible-workflow

I hope that helps!

Marta,

That does help a lot...thank you.  Your suggestions spurred some other changes that helps quite a bit.  The linking and connecting was new to me and will help greatly.  

Unfortunately the add-ons get expensive when one is using them beyond the "free" state and have to start paying for them.  I don't mind paying, however, for a single user that could get very expensive.

Board connecting was also very helpful and was what generated a few other ideas.  

Thanks Marta!  I appreciate your time and help.

Like Ronny Rofolovitch likes this

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published in Trello

NEW: Trello Board & Card Templates, Plus Community-Inspired Template Gallery

Hi there, Community! Jessica here from Trello Product Marketing. As we celebrate 50 million registered users, we're super excited to share several new features available in Trello now that will hel...

885 views 3 9
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you