Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to disable emails sent from Trello for changes on cards.

Brent Burns February 11, 2022

An employee installed the Trello app on her Mac computer.  We are a Microsoft 365 account and there was a question about integration with Outlook calendars. (She doesn't recall the specific question).  At this point, any new or edited card in Trello results in all members of the Outlook group which contains the calendar is sent a notification email.  As far as I can tell, the Outlook group email address is being used by Trello and is being sent an email for each change / addition to a card.  This results in all group members receiving this email.   I changed the email address of the Outlook group hoping to prevent delivery of the emails, but the emails continue.  What kind of connection is made between Trello and Outlook?  Where can I find this and change or delete the connection?  I would think there would be a way to review and change this in Trello.

Thanks.

1 answer

0 votes
Michael Pryor
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 12, 2022

Maybe the employee who created the Trello account used the group email as the email address for the account?

What do the emails say?

Brent Burns February 14, 2022

The emails are addressed to the Outlook group email address and the email body is information about an action taken on a Trello card:  "Card moved: "  "Comment added to ..." and the named of the card.  For each change to the card, an email is sent by Trello to the Outlook group.

This started happening when a person who was already a member of the Trello system and a member of the Office 365 / Outlook 365 company installed the Trello app on their Mac.  During the installation of the app, a response to a question resulted in the connection.

In an attempt to 'work-around' / debug the problem, I changed the name of the email address on the Outlook group.  The emails were still sent from Trello to Outlook.  No changes were made within Trello.  The emails keep coming.

Where within Trello can I find information about emails to be sent on changes to a card?

Michael Pryor
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 14, 2022

The mac app doesn't send any email notifications, so I think that happening is just a coincidence.

https://help.trello.com/article/793-receiving-trello-notifications

I can't tell if you are describing the notifications that Trello sends out normally (i.e. if you "watch" a board, list or card, Trello will send you notifications about changes). 

Or if some other power-up was installed on the board maybe that is doing it?

Check the board for any power-ups that are enabled?

I checked the boards in question and there were no power-ups enabled, rules, or any indications of automation.  I check this under my login.  Would this need to be checked under the other user's login?  I will work with her to review this there also.  I was asking if there were some way to 'look under the hood' as an administrator to see all settings in effect, regardless of who might have them in place.

Thanks.

Michael Pryor
Atlassian Team
February 14, 2022

If it is a normal Trello notification, i.e. it comes from do-not-reply@trello.com and has the trello logo at the top and says "Here's what you missed..."

Then either

a) someone has your outlook email address as their Trello account address or 

b) someone created a rule on your mail client/server to forward trello notifications to the group email list.

You can inspect the headers of the email to figure out which one it is probably.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events