Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to deal with multiple recurring tasks?

Jen_Ash April 26, 2020

Looking for help with how to set up a board for two users with multiple recurring tasks with differing periodicity. Tasks will largely fall into one of these categories:

1. Weekly task assigned to the same user every week

2. Fortnightly task that will alternate between the two users

3. Monthly task that will alternate between the two users

Currently the cards are situated in one of 3 columns: weekly/fortnightly/monthly.

I looked first at Butler, but it seems rules or buttons apply to all cards; there's no easy way to apply one rule to all cards from the weekly column, while applying a different rule to all cards in the fortnightly column, etc. I also looked at the Card Repeater power up, but that won't enable the assignee switching.

I've watched multiple videos, done multiple Google searches and can't find the answers. I'm about to give up and look for alternative software, but hoping one of you experts can advise how to do it or suggest a different way of organising it?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 26, 2020

Hi @Jen_Ash 

Welcome to the Community!

For this, I would suggest you try the card repeater again.

I know you said it didn't work with changing assignees, however, what I would do to sort that out is created multiples of the same repeat.

Set a fortnightly repeat for one person and then another for the other person, but have them repeat every 4 weeks on alternating 2 week repeats for the different people

The same for the months, set 2 up for every 2 months, assigning the right person to each one.

Does that make sense?

Esme :)

Jen_Ash May 4, 2020

Thanks Esme. I'd been hoping to avoid repetition of cards like that, but if that's the only way, so be it.

Cheers

J :)

Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 4, 2020

No worries @Jen_Ash 

I've been trying to work out how to do this for a while (and failing), for a really different reason!

I wear contact lenses, every month on 1st and 15th I have to change them and every month on 7 and 21st I have to take them out and clean them.

One repeating card for cleaning and another for changing just wouldn't work because I couldn't have 2 dates on 1 card repeat. So I've had to have 4 repeats for essentially the same thing. But it works, and it's never wrong!

I know it's a bit of a pain, but it's the only way that I've found to be able to do it without using Butler (I have a LOT of Butler going on already).

Personally, I have a "card repeats" list at the very right-hand side of my boards, and all my repeating cards just live in there. It's not a perfect solution, but it keeps them out of the way and all in one place (and stops me deleting or archiving them by accident!)

Esme :)

Jen_Ash May 4, 2020

Thanks for the further clarification - and glad to hear your system works.

Cheers

J :)

Like Esme Crutchley likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events