How to create a Rule to archive a new card with the same name on a card already in board?

Cesar Sasaki September 15, 2020

Hi 

Can I create a rule to archive automatically a new card that added to the board if there is another card with the same name already on the board?

Thanks

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 15, 2020

@Cesar Sasaki there's no direct way to do this, but here's a somewhat insane workaround:

First create this command:

when a card is added to the board, collect all cards with a name starting with "{triggercardname}" into linked items in checklist "Duplicates", for each card linked from an item in checklist "Duplicates", archive the card, find a card with link "{triggercardlink}", unarchive the card, remove link "{triggercardlink}", remove item "{triggercardlink}", and add the green "Check Duplicates" label to the card

Then create this command:

when the green "Check Duplicates" label is added to a card, remove the green "Check Duplicates" label from the card, for each card linked from an item in checklist "Duplicates", unarchive the card, remove link "{triggercardlink}", find a card with link "{triggercardlink}", and archive the card

I can't test this completely because I don't have business class and can only have one command of each type, but I have tested each command individually -- so long as the addition of the "Check Duplicates" label triggers the second command, what you end up with is the card you created that matches any cards in the board being archived.

One caveat is that you can't do "equals", the closest you can get is "starting with".

Hi @Iain Dooley it worked! thanks!

It seems confusing but it worked, I'll have to check my other rules because when you unarchive and archive a card is the same as "when added"?

Like Iain Dooley likes this
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 15, 2020

@Cesar Sasaki haha yes it is quite a crazy workaround. If you're using Gmail you might also like my product BenkoBoard which will thread your conversations, so you can have one card for each Gmail thread which will update automatically when new emails arrive on the same conversation:

http://www.benkoboard.com/

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 15, 2020

@Cesar Sasaki oh sorry to answer your question: no unarchiving won't trigger an "added card" event.

Cesar Sasaki September 17, 2020

Hi @Iain Dooley it seems that you have lots of experience using Butler rules.

I already had a rule that post a http request when a card is added. 

How can I merge it with the one that archives the duplicate card?. 

Can it be done that only the first card posts the http request and not the duplciates that comes after?

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 17, 2020

@Cesar Sasaki in general if I want to do something like that I add labels and then filter to only trigger on cards containing certain labels.

Cesar Sasaki September 17, 2020

@Iain Dooley  but how can I add the label to the first card?

0 votes
Will Ashley November 1, 2021

Hello. I believe this can be achieved with the following Butler rule

Dealing with Duplicates.jpg

Basically when a new card is created on a board, it looks for any other cards on the board with the same exact name. If one is found, then the new card is linked to the original card of the same name and then the new card is archived.
You can click on the original card to see the linked card also, even though it is now archived.

Nechamah Steinberg December 27, 2022

I want to do the opposite: I want to create a rule that when a new card is created on the board it looks for duplicates and archives the original card, leaving the new updated card on the board. Any tips on how to create this automation rule? Thanks!

0 votes
Rémi BERNIÈRES
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 15, 2020

Something like: If I create a new card

Then: Copy the same card in the same board

And move it to "Archives"

I think you want to duplicate if, by mistake, you delete the card

Hi I dont want to duplicate I'm just using the email to trello function so sometimes I get the same email twice.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events