Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to check off checklist based on card movement?

Robyn DiStefano October 17, 2023

I am successfully using automation to create cards for individual line items in a checklist. Is there an automation I can use to check the line item in the checklist if the individual card is moved to a completed list?

*As an added complexity, the main card that houses the checklist will have a variable name. See example below:

For example: 
List - New Client
Card Name - Business 1 (*this will change for each new client)
Checklist Name - To Do List (Task 1, Task 2, Task 3)

Automation creates individual checklist item named cards on list "In Progress"
Card 1 = Task 1
Card 2 = Task 2
Card 3 - Task 3

Would like to check off "Task 1" on Business 1 checklist when Card "Task 1" is moved into list "Completed".

1 answer

0 votes
Carolina Lopez
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 19, 2023

Hi Robyn,

You can use a rule to link the item with the card at the moment you create the new card. I don't know exactly how you built your rule, but you can change yours to be something like this:

when an item is added to checklist "To do list", convert the item to a linked card in list "To do"

After that, you'll be able to find the original card because it will be linked, and the item name will be the new card URL. You can create a second rule like this one:

when a card is moved into list "Done", find the first card linked in the attachments, and check item "{triggercardlink}" in checklist "To do list"

I used the variable {triggercardlink}. In case you're not familiar with Automation variables, you can find them here: https://support.atlassian.com/trello/docs/butler-variables/

This will work if the checklist name is always the same. If it also changes depending on each situation, you should create a rule for each checklist name.

Let me know if this works for you and if you have any questions. I'll be happy to help!

Robyn DiStefano October 20, 2023

Thank you @Carolina Lopez ! You're help is greatly appreciated. 

I tried the rule structure above and am still not seeing the checkbox checked once the ticket is moved to completed. Below are my rules. Is there anything that sticks out to you as inaccurate?

when a card is moved into list "Discovery", add the "JIRA Dev Discovery Checklist" checklist from card "TEMPLATE" to the card, and convert all the items in checklist "JIRA Dev Discovery Checklist" into linked cards in list "Dev Onboarding Tasks" using pattern "[{cardname}]({cardlink})" copying labels

when a card is moved into list "Completed Tasks", find the first card linked in the attachments, and check item "{triggercardlink}" in checklist "Test Checklist"

Note: I have multiple checklists on a single card. Thinking that might be the issue, I created a test case with a single card with a single list, applied the rules above (specified rules for that test scenario) and ran the rule. The checkbox was still unchecked for the task that I moved. Not sure where my mistake is at this point.

Again, thank you so much for your help!

Carolina Lopez
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 23, 2023

I'm happy to help!
You'll need to adapt the second rule to match the pattern in the first one. The items are being created with the pattern [{cardname}]({cardlink}), so the second rule would only find the items if you use [{triggercardname}]({triggercardlink}) instead of {triggercardlink}.
Also, the first rule is converting the items in the checklist JIRA Dev Discovery Checklist while the second rule refers to the checklist Test Checklist. Both need to match for the second rule to work.
This rule should work:

when a card is moved into list "Completed Tasks", find the first card linked in the attachments, and check item "[{triggercardname}]({triggercardlink})" in checklist "JIRA Dev Discovery Checklist"

If it doesn't work, you can check the Automation log and it should have an error showing why the rule didn't succeed. Something like this:

Automation log.png
Let me know if this brings up any additional questions.

Robyn DiStefano October 24, 2023

That worked. Thank you so much @Carolina Lopez !

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events