Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to better organize my list

Jack Zhang October 1, 2020

Hi I want to organize my lists better but I currently do not have a good idea.

For example let's say I have a to do list on my board but it is getting jammed with task cards and I have no idea where I can find a task in that list. I wanted to know if there is a way to have a list within a list on Trello so that under my to do list I can also have sublists like chores, homework, making dinner, etc etc. This way I can easily find a task without having to scroll down 100 cards before finding the right one.

Currently I know I can hyperlink a board to a card for bigger projects but since I have a  limited number of boards, I don't think this is a feasible solution. 

Appreciate the help. 

1 answer

0 votes
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 1, 2020

@Jack Zhang you might be interested in my methodology that I call "task shortlisting":

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Trello-articles/Task-shortlisting-with-Trello/ba-p/988117

Stephen Addis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 2, 2020

Love that system @Iain Dooley .  Left or right swipe ... so simple, but so Tinder lol.

I kinda do the same on my Template board, with a column called Not Applicable, so can then go in and just bin those off to archive or delete in one sequence instead of as you go.

I also use a priority system of 1 through 9, as every body wants something ASAP ... no date, no priority (in my book) but also their ASAP or need it now ... there are ones they need NOW, and ones they need NOW.

Or the other phrase is ... so, which one of those immediate now urgent tasks do you want me to drop to do this immediate now urgent task.

Or, what part of your inaction constitutes an emergency on my part ?

Like Iain Dooley likes this
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 5, 2020

@Stephen Addis haha I actually had that terminology "tinder for tasks" in an original draft of that article and took it out. I still use it from time to time on coaching calls though :)

Like Stephen Addis likes this
Stephen Addis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 5, 2020

Thats a pretty catchy tag line ... catchy works, its remembered and people then use.

Like the american phrase KISS ... keep it simple stupid ... over complex things, people hit the close window right before the eyes glaze over, and anything thereafter is lost, wasted, never seen.

Gonna have to use the phrase ... currently I say "think white board with post it notes and conversations on the back".

Stephen Addis
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 5, 2020

Oh, a bit like the blame cascades down, in kanban its from left to right.

I always knew I was slightly too far to the right, now its for sure.  Appear to be a sh1te magnet and everything always ends up in my lap when people are screaming as they cant be bothered themselves.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events