How to attach a card to another card (not *link* the cards): one-way attachments

rax adaam
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 19, 2020

I have a rule that looks up a card on a board, when I add a card to a particular list. 

I would like to attach the card that is "looked-up" to the card that triggers the rule, but I can't find any way to do this, aside from the "link cards" action (which is not what I want, as I don't want the trigger card to be attached to the "looked-up" card).

• e.g. when a card assigned to me is added to "stuff for this week" look up card "to-do's for week #{weeknumber} and attach this card ... 

I couldn't find any way to do this, so I thought I would link them and then try to remove the attachment from the "Looked up card" (by finding it after the previous action), but again there is only an "unlink cards" option. I don't understand why on the add/remove panel, you can add and remove just about everything except for an attachment.

I've lost an inordinate amount of time trying to work around this limitation -- any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

All the best,

RA

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
rax adaam
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 19, 2020

Finally figured it out: 

• lookup the card
  • add url {foundcardlink}

I was thrown off by the fact that it is referred to as a URL (vs. attachment).

Moreover, the fact that they have named the variable that refers to a "looked-up" card as {foundcard*} seems a very poor choice for so-called 'semantic' code when they have a different feature called "find card." Personally, I would've expected {foundcard*} to refer to a card that was "find"-ed, not a card that was "Look-up"-ed.

Hope this saves someone else the time it cost me :D

Cheers, 

RA

Stephen Addis
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 20, 2020

Multi-directional linking, or anything to make life easier has to be key.  This "you can see it but cant open as used the wrong route" just annoys, and it should always be that if you can see what you want, click & open either the part you see, or the item in general.

Computers, its what they were made for, to make life easy, not over complicate.

rax adaam
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 20, 2020

@Stephen Addis -- not really sure I follow your comment. Are you saying that linking cards is a best practice, as opposed to a only attaching one card to the other?

FWIW in this case, the card being acted on is the child of the card being attached. On the parent card, there is a hyperlinked checklist that allows one to go to the child card. There is also a rule that will allow one to move the child card to the current board, without having to leave the board. Because there can be a *lot* of items on this parent card's checklist, I didn't want every one of them to be attached.

Stephen Addis
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 20, 2020

I was saying not about best practice, but about saving wasting time, but its not something that Trello does ... but would be nice if it did (hint hint WISH LIST).

Nothing better to do that go trawling cards.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events