Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you mirror a list to another board ?

Michael Stephenson April 12, 2022

How do you mirror a list to another board on Trello so both boards show the same list. It seems like a really obvious thing to be able to do but I see no option ??????

I don't want to mirror CARDS ... I want to mirror LISTS.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 answer

0 votes
Hannah Humbert - Simpla Workflows
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 12, 2022

Hi @Michael Stephenson Welcome to the community! Trello doesn't offer this functionality natively, so you'd need to use a power-up like Unito. The way it works is you connect two different boards together, and from there you can define what cards should sync from board A->B and vice versa. E.g. only sync cards in lists 1, 2, and 3.

Michael Stephenson April 12, 2022

Hi Hannah, thanks for the reply. That's disappointing. Seems like a REALLY obvious feature. As per my question though, I don't want to mirror cards. Just the whole list. Which Unito doesn't do. Thanks though.

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 12, 2022

Ah, right, I understood that as needing to take a whole list (cards included) and have it mirror on another board, rather than mirroring individual cards. So if you create an empty list called "Apple" on one board, you'd like to have a matching empty "Apple" list be automatically created on another board. Is that right? You might be able to achieve something close to what you're after using butler automation. Let me know if I'm on the right track and I can share more details!

Michael Stephenson April 13, 2022

That is precisely what I want to do. We have multiple boards for various aspects of production.  We purely want to be able to mirror an entire list from one board in particular, to the other boards. So when that list gets updated, it is reflected and displayed on the other boards. So the whole list, not cards.

Community Leader
Community Leader
April 13, 2022

@Michael Stephenson you can copy lists across boards using butler automation, but you can't update lists. So if a list name is changed, or a list is archived, I don't believe there is a way to find the matching list and update it.

The butler automation to copy lists would look something like this:

when a card with a name starting with "Mirror list" is added to the board, move the card to the top of list "{cardlistname}" on board "Destination board", and archive the card

copy list.gif

The idea would be to have a "master board" which would be your trigger board or source of truth. The butler command would originate from that board. In the above example, it's just updating one board, but you could add multiple boards into the same rule by just continuing to add actions.

It's not really what you want though. From what it sounds like, you would need the ability to configure lists at the Trello instance level. So sort of similar to what Jira and Wrike offer - you can create workflows and determine what your statuses/lists should be at the instance level. When creating a board, you can then apply the relevant workflow. So when a workflow is updated, all boards that have that workflow applied would be updated.

Trello doesn't offer anything like that - most things are configured at the board level. You can however submit a feature request to Trello if you want here: https://trello.com/contact#/

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events