Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do we take ownership of a board back from an ex employee?

Rupert Smith April 16, 2019

Hi,

As a company we are in a tricky position. We have a trello project with a lot of data in but this was opened by an employee who no longer works for our company. The data does not belong to him and he is ignoring all requests to transfer the account from his email.

Any advise from Trello or Atlassian on this?

Best,

3 answers

3 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Rupert Smith April 18, 2019

Hi Iain, 

The reason we are wanting ownership is to allow us to take our data points through some kind of API or integration to our analytics platform. 

Can our developer have access to do this without being the main account holder/manager?

Best,

Rupert

0 votes
Answer accepted
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 16, 2019

@Rupert Smith do you have access to the boards? Just make a copy of the boards and you'll be the admin of those copies. If you want to remove the ex-employee's access to the boards, then you need to have them set up as part of a business class or enterprise team originally, so there's not much you can do about that anymore unless you're also the admin of those boards.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Iago Docando
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 16, 2019

It seems more a legal matter than a technicall one. I WON'T PROVIDE WITH ANY LEGAL ADVICE but I could share some thoughts 

If I understand correctly... has your ex employee set up a whole trello operation using his or her personal email account and you have operated like this for whatever amount of time? This is the only scenario where I can se you having no control other than to politely request him/her to do something. Otherwise you'd just take control over the company email I guess.

Don't you have some sort of confidenciality agreement signed by that ex employee that could provide you with leverage to threat with suing? In any case it would seem advisable to contact a lawyer.

Also, take into account anything you might need to do in order to comply with data protection regulation in your territory. For example, under GPDR considerations (europe) you should report a security breach if personal data of any kind is involved and document the extent of it based on the type of data involved, evidences you have of the data being missused... and so many things.

I'm sorry you are in this situation. Hopefully everything works out well in the end.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events