It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How do I restrict a Trello user's access to just a list (or even just a card) in a Board?

Currently I have a remote team member on a Trello Team. When I assign the member to a card, he automatically gets access to all lists and cards on that board. In some boards, I only want him to be able to access a specific list within that board. On other boards, I only want him to be able to access a specific card within a specific list in that board. How do I achieve these two goals?

4 answers

It seems a few users have requested a feature like this through different platforms & posts across the web, However, all solutions are pointing to Butler or some other app which does way more than this and charges for it.  

To me, this is a simple and basic functionality which I'd expect to get free of charge if I'm paying for Trello power-ups.. It doesn't make sense to have to pay more in order to get this capability. 

1 vote
Devon Henderson Community Leader Feb 02, 2018

Hi Matt!

Unfortunately, this isn't a feature that Trello supports at this time. I highly suggest you email feature-ideas@trello.com and suggest this - you aren't the first to request it, and every single voice counts towards making features happen!

For now, I'd be happy to help you figure out a workaround. My suggestion would be to create a board specifically for this user. Then, you can use a tool like Butler for Trello (https://butlerfortrello.com/butlerbot.html) to keep your list and card in sync with those on your remote worker's board. Butler for Trello is a super neat tool that can really help automate your workflow.

Hope I've helped!

Butler looks very comprehensive. How on EARTH do I actually set this up? It sounds like the goal is to have lists/cards on multiple boards automatically copy and sync with a board for that one individual.

I'm seeing that this response was made since Feb 2018. Has Trello since made any updates to allow persons to access only specific cards on a Board?

Like Irwin Lim likes this

Totally agree with you, Jay.

The great part about this comment, is that it really sums up exactly what I was looking for. Per list user access for Trello.

This is the first thing I wanted to do when I finally tried Board.

Hey Elie, did you ever get your questions answered? I am having the very same request. Thank you. 

No, I did not. Sorry.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published in Trello

NEW: Trello Board & Card Templates, Plus Community-Inspired Template Gallery

Hi there, Community! Jessica here from Trello Product Marketing. As we celebrate 50 million registered users, we're super excited to share several new features available in Trello now that will hel...

152 views 1 6
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you