Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get butler to send a private slack message whenever a card is added to the board?

Duncan McDougal August 31, 2022

I followed the instructions given by trello on how to setup private messaging with butler, but it didn't work. I used the member ID like the instructions said, but it still didn't work. I made a private channel with just me and butler and it works, but I rather have a private messaging system rather than another channel. Does anyone know how to fix this if there is a fix?

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Duncan McDougal September 1, 2022

For anyone that comes across this thread with the same question, the answer is that butler cannot DM in slack people as Butler. It can DM people people as yourself but cannot DM people as butler.

If you want to have Butler send a message to just one person as Butler then you can't do it through the DM feature, though a feature you can use is through the channels. You can create a private channel with just the targeted person and then to allow butler to message to the channel you add butler under the "integrations" tab in the channel details. Butler will then be able to message to that channel.

I hope this helps anyone that was confused in the same way that I was.

1 vote
Answer accepted
Lars Maehlmann
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 1, 2022

Hello @Duncan McDougal ,

Welcome to the community. I am not sure if I can help, normally it is pretty straightforward.

May I ask you which instruction did you use?

I have found one which might be helpful:

* https://blog.trello.com/butler-automations-for-slack-jira

Maybe you can describe what is the error message you get.

Cheers,

Lars

Duncan McDougal September 1, 2022

I got the instructions from:

https://support.atlassian.com/trello/docs/using-the-jira-and-slack-integrations/

Here is a screen snip of the instructions:

image.png

However, I also found this note below that one, at first I thought it meant something else, but now I know what it means. I now know that the problem was that I was trying to have the message DM people as butler. 

image.png

Thank you for your help.

Like Lars Maehlmann likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events