Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get a job number to automatically update when creating or copying a new card

Claire_Ashton June 16, 2020

When I create or copy a new card I want the job number to automatically update.

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks 

Claire in Marketing

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 17, 2020

@Claire_Ashton there's no automated job number, but every card has a short ID which you can access via a Butler variable, for example:

2020-06-17 at 10.15 pm.pngthis isn't a particularly memorable job number, but you could always just refer to it using the first or last 3 digits, for example if the card id comes out as "95g2iwrH" you could just call that job 95g.

I don't think you'll be able to do it with Butler, but this Trellinator function would for example find the maximum job number on the board and add 1 to it and set the created card title to append a job number in the format "#X":

https://gist.github.com/iaindooley/97adc91a07451576cbc62bbf523611ab

You can read more about Trellinator here:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Marketplace-Apps-Integrations/Introducing-Trellinator-Automate-Trello-with-Google-Apps-Script/ba-p/925271

Claire_Ashton June 17, 2020

Thanks for the help!

Like Iain Dooley likes this
0 votes
milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 16, 2020

I am pretty new to Trello in terms of Butler and Power UPS as well but played a bit with it from an automation perspective to know enough using the scripting platform and py-Trello library. The scripting platform has a simple way to trap events on the board like card movement (updateCard actually since the change is the list) or createCard. So once you can do that you can do many things including generating a reference number. I used random number for generating food orders on a Trello. What all this mean is some programming is needed. 
others in the community can probably share with you an easier way. But I realised that to do transaction type of use case with Trello you will need some  coding and some automation platform that works well with Trello. 

Claire_Ashton June 16, 2020

thank you for your feedback much appreciated

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events