Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I find text within cards in Trello?

Brian_L
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 18, 2018

I know I must be missing something obvious, but hopefully you can help. I know how to search for text across all boards, and I know how to filter cards on a board by title text. But, is there an easy way to search/filter cards only on the current board that contain specific text (anywhere on the card, not just the title)? I know I can type "mytext board:nameofcurrentboard" in the search bar, but is there an easy way to search just the current board without having to type "board:nameofcurrentboard"?

4 answers

6 votes
Jeff.Bertman November 17, 2020

Are you kidding me? 2 years later and there is still no feature to search within a card yet? There is sooo much text across sooo many cards in a typical Trello set of boards -- this feature is a huge necessity.

As a semi-workaround you can run Trello from a web browser (i.e. Chrome, Firefox, MS Edge, Safari, etc) and perform a standard web page "find" operation (typically Ctrl-F) and search that way. BUT this is not really acceptable.

Fyi sometimes this web browser approach is the only "interim/workaround" solution for other Trello native app issues as well. For example, the mobile Trello app cannot show the email address for a card (which you would CC in an email message). You can use a web browser to do that... BUT... unlike the desktop native Trello app which shows the Share menu near the top/right of each card, in the mobile browser you have to scroll (and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll) down to the bottom of ALL the card activity and then finally you'll see the sharing options incl card link, email address for the card, etc.

VERY cumbersome -- but the only way for the past few YEARS -- despite other Trello improvements. Well, at least it's doable :)

Make it a Great Day :)

Jeff B

Franco Swart March 10, 2021

Totally agree. I use Trello for CRM and sometimes a customer calls me and I want to quickly check the correspondence we've had so far. No way of searching on his name.

I'm surprised at this as it seems to have been requested for literally years.

Brilliant app otherwise of course but this basic omission is perplexing.

Faranama IT March 23, 2021

and still, no feature to search within a card yet! so strange ...

Jason Mestrits February 16, 2022

I could use this feature right now... 

Marcelo P_ Lima January 2, 2023

What an incredibly useless product.

You create a card, add a lot of content inside the card, and when you SEARCH, you can't find any of the content inside the card.

USELESS.

Like Wim Nomen likes this
1 vote
seidnerj August 14, 2023

🤦

1 vote
Andrew Tieszen April 21, 2023

Three years later and this still is not a feature? I am unable to search for cards for a term that appears in the decription, even by specifying "description: test phrase". This is kind of the whole point of search...

Tracy April 21, 2023

Removing the space after the colon might get you better results ("description:test phrase")

1 vote
Teddy
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 20, 2018

Hey Brian!

There is not currently a way to filter a board by any text other than the card title. The best way to do that would be the way that you mentioned, although I'd be glad to let our team know thats something that you'd be interested in.

You might want to check out a few other search modifiers as well, such as 'description:', 'checklist:', 'comment:', and 'name:' which can help you specify more clearly what you are searching for.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events