Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I change the Trello Search Box back to showing Card and Titles vs a list of just titles?

Tomas Mora June 3, 2022

Up until today, when I used the Search Box in Trello it would deliver TWO columns, with the left side showing the cards and the right column the corresponding title of each card.

Today while using the Search Box I get just a list of every title that contains the word I am searching and no graphic of the cards.

How do I change it back to the former search format?

Thank you for your assistance.

9 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Tiffany Yue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 8, 2022

👋 Hi @Tomas Mora @AB and @Adrian Strench , great to see the discussion here!

I'm Tiffany, the PM on Trello's Search team. As @Theodoro Reato mentioned above, what you're seeing is the incremental rollout of a new experience. We know that having a modern search experience is important to quickly finding your work, so the team been hard at work updating the look and feel. You can learn more in this support doc.

That said, we understand that change can be frustrating and there's always room for improvement. With your pain point of less card information, we're on it! We've been exploring how we could bring some of these card details, like labels and list name, back to the search results. I'll follow up with any updates.

In the meantime, please feel free to share additional feedback here in the comments or via our support team.

Best,

Tiffany

Chip Hennen August 13, 2022

Tiffany, still no way to return search to previous format? I still see the new one, and it doesn't work for my company's needs. It's basically terrible. My company is paid user and all the Trello users in our company are complaining vehemently about this. Hard to understand why Atlassian won't list to their users' complaints. 

It's obvious that Atlassian is trying to force people to also use their other product offerings via integrating Trello tighter with them, but they're compromising Trello's key value drivers in the process. This situation is totally ridiculous. 

Like • Merlin Pratt likes this
Timothea August 22, 2022

Agree! New Trello search is terrible!

Please develop an option to switch it back.

Abby Johnson August 25, 2022

Trello search and now the advanced search is awful. 

Please switch it back!! 

Mandi August 31, 2022

The new search/advanced search is the worst thing ever! Can't see the colors of the due dates or the date they are due. Can only see when the card was last updated. Not helpful! We don't want to have to click on every card to see what is going on with it. We also miss how we didn't have to do an advanced search by actually clicking "advanced search". Please bring back a way to just type "due:overdue" in the search bar and bring up the list with the due dates and colors showing. Please bring back the old search. Please!!!

Anthony Forca October 12, 2022

The new search feature is incrementally horrible! Whoever led this project should be fired and had no idea about what the customers want! Having pictures besides the name of the card was IDEAL and CRITICAL for us. Change it back asap! 

0 votes
Answer accepted
Theodoro Reato
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 6, 2022

Hi Jeff, 

You're seeing the new search bar, there isn't a way to disable it,

However, you can press enter after typing the keywords you are searching, and it'll show a page with the results as the old search, but you'll move out of your board as it's a different page.

Abby Johnson June 6, 2022

This new format is awful. For the next update, you guys should think about making a way to switch it back. 

Why have labels if you can't see them when searching. 

Like • Tomas Mora likes this
Adrian Strench June 6, 2022

@Theodoro Reato I agree with Jeff.  The old way was working just fine.  Please change it back

Like • Tomas Mora likes this
Adrian Strench June 6, 2022

@Theodoro Reato How do I do back to the old way of searching?  My boss's Trello is still has the old way search view?

Like • # people like this
Tomas Mora June 6, 2022

Hi Theodoro,

Thank you for your quick reply.

Did the Trello/Atlassian Team do any user testing or sampling prior to working on the search change and its implementation?

I know change is often difficult for many people, but initially it appears the people in my office and posting on here preferred the former Search output.  The new output offers less information and an extra step forward and backwards to get the same information as before.

Best regards,

Jeff

Theodoro Reato
Atlassian Team
June 8, 2022

Hey folks, thanks for sharing your thoughts, I’ll definitely share your opinion with our Product team.

A bit of history, the new search bar allows you to search throughout all Atlassian products, what is awesome is if you have Confluence or Jira now you can integrate the tools in an easier way.

This feature - the new search bar - has been rolling out for a couple of days, which explains why your boss sees the old version, however, his Trello will update the search bar, and we can’t roll you back to the old version.

I can ensure the Product team expended a lot of time thinking about how to improve and create an amazing future for Trello, and integrating all Atlassian products is part of it.

I know this doesn’t look like an improvement right now, but it was extensively thought to improve our product. We’re really keen to hear your feedback on the new search - if you have specific things that you miss from the old search, let us know so our product team can review this

Actually, I personally talked with other users which similar thoughts as y’ll and opened a request with the product team to allow you to see your labels in the new search bar, I’ll add your voice to the request. However, I can’t guarantee it’ll be implemented,

Chip Hennen August 8, 2022

The new search format sucks. Period. No one in our company likes it. If the person at Atlassian reading this doesn't understand why, you're part of the problem. We're looking for a replacement app now. If we can't roll the search format back to the old format, we're rolling Trello out to the bit bin. Anyone have a recommendation on a replacement app for Trello? 

Alistair August 10, 2022

100% agree, I don't know why Atlassian are taking a dictatorial approach to customer service, give us what we want!

Chip Hennen August 13, 2022

Has anyone figured out a way to return search to old format? I still see the new one, and it doesn't work for my company's needs. It's basically terrible. 

Does anyone know of an app that competes with Trello that offers similar functionality and a search function that makes sense? We're looking for one now. I think Atlassian is trying to force people to also use their other product offerings via integrating Trello tighter with them, but they're compromising Trello's key value drivers in the process.

0 votes
shurrrr September 14, 2022

Not being able to see the labels or photos through the search feature basically makes the search function useless for my team...

Maybe there is another platform..

Chip Hennen September 14, 2022

When you find a replacement platform, pls post link to it on this board. We too are looking for a replacement because of the changes to the search function and Atlassian's refusal to give user option to return to old search. Tx

Mandi September 14, 2022

Yes, please do. We are looking for something better as well!

Abby Johnson September 14, 2022

Yes, if you find something different please send a link! New Trello search is awful.

0 votes
Abby Johnson August 25, 2022

Not only did it change formats a while ago, but the advanced search just changed for the worse. At least there I could see labels, but not any more, and the information provided is redundant. 

TRELLO HAS GOTTEN AWFUL!

0 votes
Adrian Strench August 3, 2022

@Theodoro Reato Is there a way to change search back to the old way?

0 votes
Usama Arshad August 3, 2022

First time on Trello's community forum searching for a way to revert the search results somehow like they used to be.

Old search bar results were intuitive, you could check various things at a glance, move to a new tab, and search results were still intact.

This new search results show little to no data, you loose the the search results when you move to a new tab or window to reference something.

Mandi August 31, 2022

Yes! These are our issues too. Trello, please bring back the old search!

0 votes
Waseem AlSharif July 27, 2022

im having the same issue , the old search bar was much better than the new one . There is away to switch to the old one ?

0 votes
Abby Johnson June 7, 2022

Tomas Mora June 7, 2022

Hi Abby,

My Trello search is still only offering the "new" method.  Did you do anything different to be able to access the old search format?

Thanks!

Adrian Strench June 7, 2022

@Theodoro Reato I like the when old search showed labels to the cards and what list the search item is in.  This is every important information when doing a search.  The new way didn't do that.  

Right now Trello search seems to working the old way.  Please don't change it.

Like • Tiffany Yue likes this
Chip Hennen August 8, 2022

Adrian, how did you get the search format to return to the old format? I still see the new format, which really sucks. Tx. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events