How do I change the List background color?

Fabio Trastamara May 5, 2017

In trello, create a list: how do I add color to the list background?

16 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Oliver S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 22, 2024

Some great news! List colors and collapsible lists are coming to Trello! Check out our recent post for more details - https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Trello-articles/Do-your-boards-have-you-feeling-the-blues-Prepare-to-spark-new/ba-p/2618194

Jens Zähringer
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 22, 2024

Wow, great! 

Finally after only 7 years, we get colors! :-)

Like # people like this
Regan Music February 22, 2024

Wohoo! I think that means in another 7 years we might get a native gantt-chart :D

But seriously, I'm happy for the colours and collapsible lists, cheers!

Patrick Honegger February 22, 2024

Oh, still some developers working for Trello? Nice, I just started thinking about switching.

Regan Music February 22, 2024

I read the following info, and find comfort in the fact that it took 138 ppl 7 years to give us colourable, collapsible lists :P

These better be the best damn colours I've ever seen!

Estimated Revenue & Valuation

• Trello's estimated annual revenue is currently $19.3M per year.(i)
  • Trello's estimated revenue per employee is $140,000

Employee Data

• Trello has 138 Employees.(i)
  • Trello grew their employee count by 10% last year.
Like Patrick Honegger likes this
51 votes
Samantha Loureiro May 6, 2022

Being able to color code a list would be an amazing feature! Can someone make this happen? 

Michael Ihde August 9, 2022

+1 for list colors and icon badges. ;-)

Like # people like this
Patrick Honegger January 14, 2023

+1

Like Per Edward Nilsen likes this
Nima March 24, 2023

+1

sava_slepcev April 20, 2023

+1

freshlygrazed May 24, 2023

+1

Antonio Gutierrez June 29, 2023

+1

Leasche_ De Beer July 3, 2023

+1

Deborah Hall August 18, 2023

+ 1

Mike Murano September 21, 2023

+1

Christophe Peter September 24, 2023

+1

Richmond Sim
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 17, 2023

+1

JJ Jones October 31, 2023

CSS has been around since 2012. The OP is from 2017. It's now 2023. It ain't that hard ya'll. Please fix it @atlassian

Like # people like this
MrEvers January 4, 2024

+1

Sara McMichael
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 11, 2024

NEED.

Meredith Boylan January 24, 2024

+1

Rene Zavala
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 24, 2024

need

8 votes
Volodymyr Spodaryk November 30, 2022

I found that there is a "Power-Up" (Trello plugins) named "List Limits" which you can set to zero, so if there is anything in that list it will be highlighted.
In my case, I wanted to highlight "In Progress" column among all others without Chrome plugins and avoid any data sharing with other companies. And it works.

boardtc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 1, 2023

This works superbly, thanks!!

Ricky March 1, 2023

I never would have thought of this. Thank you! And yeah, I agree. I do not mess around with thief chrome extensions. On top of a possible security risk, you're depending on something that is very likely to be discontinued.

Like # people like this
7 votes
Andr_Id
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
October 13, 2023

Its 2023 now - and still no colors for the list. It doesn't seem that Trello team care about clients preferences.

Tazh Studio November 13, 2023

My thoughts exactly. This is straight-up insane.

Like # people like this
5 votes
Alex Rodionov June 26, 2021

I dunno lads. All these addons/plugins only work locally. They don't let you to set up colouring for all members of the board. 

Trello seems like these limitaitons. Since its inspection adding a background to the board or changing colour and theme was something of very luxury desire. Can't believe after so many years, we still don't have simple colouring for lists. 

David Naylor July 17, 2023

I know right? I have been asking for this for years now. It seems so obvious.

4 votes
freshlygrazed February 5, 2024

Okay, so while we're still waiting for Atlassian to NOT build out this simple useful feature (sigh)..

I did find an alternative solution that looks pretty clean. Essentially you find a coloured emoji 🟪 and you add it to the beginning of the title. All the emoji's can be found at emojipedia or anywhere online (lol).

Screen Shot 2024-02-05 at 5.37.48 PM.png

If you want it too be bolder, you can add multiple square emoji's together 🟪🟪🟪 

Tazh Studio February 19, 2024

This is actually quite a neat idea. Thank you. 

3 votes
Marek
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
November 4, 2023

Oh cmon, why this is still not done? Such a little but important feature. It should have been done without hesitation

Marek
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
November 5, 2023

If someone want a little workaround, putting some colored emojis in the list title helped a bit lol

Like # people like this
1 vote
David Bahlatzis
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 29, 2024

SERIOUSLY?  This has got to be one of the most basic features. How is there no ability to change color of lists? Theyre all the same color and everything just blends together.

1 vote
Ellie Behling
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 28, 2024

Oh what a bummer they don't have this! This was the FIRST thing I tried to do as a brand new Trello user (but pretty seasoned Atlassian user at work so I know these Atlassian people can do anything!). I started a board for my wedding, and It just seems obvious you would want to make the lists different colors to categorize. I don't know if that's helpful to hear.

1 vote
Junior Carvalho
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 9, 2024

Wow... Unbelievable! And I though of coming here, as a new user, to figure out how to do it... Little did I know they haven't even gotten there yet... :/

Rene Zavala
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 24, 2024

agree

0 votes
Tazh Studio February 19, 2024

Ah come one lads, why are you worrying about this?! Come outside and play instead, like we at trello do! 🤓😀😂

Sara McMichael
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 20, 2024

Is this really the answer from Trello?

Like Tazh Studio likes this
0 votes
JJ Jones December 1, 2023

@LeoAtlassian @atlassiahn @atlassian-qe

Any Atlassian team member want to chime in on why we are being ignored?

JJ Jones December 1, 2023

mcfly.gif

Like Heidi likes this
0 votes
Honna Veerkamp
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
December 1, 2023

I came here looking for this feature too. It seems like it would be pretty simple. Please add. Thanks.

0 votes
Wessel de Vries December 5, 2019
0 votes
Torben_trello
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 9, 2017

It's not a native feature, but there are some 3rd party solutions that might help: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/card-colors-for-trello/nodlpencjjlohojddhflnahnfpfanbjm?hl=en

stucampbell March 12, 2018

I use the Trello app on Windows, so I can't use Chrome extensions. Please can you enable custom list colours?

Like # people like this
Mrs_ Wise October 10, 2018

To use Chrome extensions you would need to be using the chrome browser. 

Jeff Tillett
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 11, 2019

@Torben_trello ,

Is there a public board for Trello backlog items like we have for Jira? Would be good to share with the OP how they can officially send in a feature request rather than posting here. :)

Like # people like this
Mark Anderson March 3, 2023

We're using lists for different projects to manage workload. So, not always the standard Kanban usage. Being able to change the list color for all users with a Power-Up would be helpful, so we can assign a priority by color.

Also, our company frowns on browser extensions for security reasons.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events