Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I change member initials?

Joseph Shelton August 29, 2018

I have 2 team members with the same initials. How do I differentiate them?  Change initials? color?

9 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 19, 2020

Update: October 22, 2021

Hello everyone,

Hope you are all safe and well!

I came here to say that now it’s possible to change the avatar color and initials directly on your profile.

The steps I mentioned before still can be used in case you need a more customized color. 

To use this new feature, please, access your profile on  https://id.atlassian.com/manage-profile/profile-and-visibility.

Click on your Avatar > Create initials avatar.

Screen Shot 2021-10-22 at 15.28.56.png

There are seven different colors and you can use up to four characters.

Screen Recording 2021-10-22 at 03.30.58 PM.gif

Kind regards,
Angélica

Hello everyone,

Hope everyone is safe!

I would like to post an update here regarding the avatars in Atlassian Cloud.

The color for avatars is chosen based on an algorithm and it's not possible to change that. There was a feature suggesting that, but it was closed since it's possible to upload your own avatar.

Many thanks for this Suggestion, however, this is not something we plan to add to JIRA Agile at this time.

The colour is chosen based on an algorithm using the name, unfortunately in this case the same result is occurring. It may be that this is remedied in the future if the colour palette is extended but we will not be changing this automatic avatar type to have a manual override.

As a workaround, you can generate your own avatar with your initials.

I found the websites below where you can create the avatar and choose the color you prefer: 

Example: https://ui-avatars.com/api/?background=0D8ABC&color=fff&name=Angelica+Luz

Result:

Screen Shot 2020-07-28 at 14.22.38.png

Example:

Screen Shot 2020-07-28 at 14.25.19.png

Note that, when this question was posted, Trello was not using users' Atlassian account. With that said, now users must go to https://id.atlassian.com/manage-profile and change their own avatar. Administrators have no access to do that, even if the domain is verified.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Angélica

3 votes
Matthew N
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 29, 2018

Hi Joseph

You'll need to ask your users to update their initials in their account information at www.trello.com/my/account by selecting Edit Profile. This is a user-defined setting, so it cannot be changed by anyone but the user.  

Joseph Shelton September 3, 2018

That worked great. Thanks Matthew!

Jason R March 26, 2020

What happened to this solution? It doesn't show up any more under Edit Profile.

Like # people like this
Ramses Kools April 16, 2020

For me this also doesnt show up anymore since I had to convert my trello account to an Atlassian account. Is there a new solution to change your initials?

Now we have 2 people with the same initials on our Trello boards.

Like # people like this
1 vote
Gaga September 30, 2020

How do we change initials color?

Mattias Van doninck October 4, 2020

I was wondering the same in another post (https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Trello-questions/How-to-change-initials-from-grey-to-colours/qaq-p/1419364). Especially since some colleagues of mine accidentally changed the colour of their initials and didn't know how they did it.

Like Gaga likes this
Gaga October 5, 2020

The same case here. I just modified my name in order to change initials and the area color around initials changed by itself. Then I tried to change it back... no success...

Gaga October 19, 2020

Can we get some answer from moderators, developers or someone from Atlasian?

1 vote
Mattias Van doninck September 24, 2020

Indeed, it's a pity that this option (which was there previously) is not there anymore. Moreover, the initials are now created automatically based on what the script thinks are your first name and surname. In case someone has a surname that consists of more than 1 word, it sometimes goes wrong. In my case, it selects the first letter of the second word of my surname. That makes it very difficult for my colleagues to realise it is me. Only solution was to misspell my own surname in 1 word, to make sure the script selects the first letter of the first word. Lots of emails to the Trello helpdesk, didn't change a thing. How difficult can it be to let users input their own initials, *as it used to be the case*? Or just have separate fields for first name and surname.

1 vote
Michael Arruda March 30, 2020

Hi Joseph,

Some of our users are reporting that after switch to a managed account, they initials field is no longer available. Is this expected? If not, where can they set their initials?

THanks

Jhonathan Peña April 16, 2020

Hi Michael, you can do it modifying the Atlassian Profile in this address: https://id.atlassian.com/manage-profile/profile-and-visibility

You need modify the Full Name, in this example mi Full Name is Jhonathan Peña so my initials are JP.

If you need more help let me know.

Example.png

Can I include numbers or symbols in my initials?

when you put numbers your initials do not appear in the Atlassian account, i think you can't put Number or symbols, can you test and reply here?

That is also what I figured when I tried to add numbers it did not show any initials.

In Trello it used to be possible to change your initials manually and add numbers and symbols.

Yeah, after this change with Atlassian Account we could, I hope that soon we can do again and they see this forum

Let's hope so ;)

Leonard Hannasch April 17, 2020

I have the same issue.  My initials changed from three letters to two letters, now we have several member labels with the same initials.  I go to the link provided but cannot find an option to update my initials.

Like Kevin L Meador likes this
0 votes
abolsakovs September 9, 2020

still unable to set my own Initials without changing name surname.... before it was much easier, hope guys will be able to roll out update on this simple but painful topic. 

0 votes
Deleted user July 3, 2020

This really sucks.  Seems like it should be an easy fix, but nothing I do changes it.  I'm new to Trello. For all the good of it, there are alot of usability issues. 

0 votes
Louis FEUILLOY May 27, 2020

It's a big problem for us too. We use the initials to tag people using "'@", like @LF would tag me. 

It was really usefull, i hope they will change it back.

0 votes
Leonard Hannasch April 21, 2020

Here is a work around.  Create a graphic of your three initials, upload that graphic as your profile picture.  The member label now has three characters instead of two.

Emmanuel Guyot May 7, 2020

This is an interesting workaround but I still can't search for tasks with the 3 letters initials

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events