Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I back up and restore my Trello Boards?

Sierk Oudemans March 1, 2018

Hi,  

I ran into an issue a month or 2 back where the descriptions on all of my cards in one of my boards were corrupted and I lost a significant amount of data and time to restore everything.  Since then I have been wondering about the ability to create a backup file of my Trello boards, preferably one board at a time and save those on my PC.  This is something I could do weekly in case another unforeseen major disaster strikes one of my boards.  It was suggested that I export my boards to JSON which I was able to do.  As a result I got a huge web page with JSON gibberish.  So far so good.

The problem is that none of the instructions say anything about what to do with this data. Nor how to import this back into Trello if you wanted to restore a Board to a earlier condition using the saved JSON file.  Does anyone out there know how to do this?

Thanks

10 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Dasha Shakov March 29, 2021

Hey everyone!

For those who are interested in a solution for backing up and restoring information in Trello, check out Backups for Trello in the Power-Up marketplace.

With this Power-Up, you'll be able to go back in time and restore your boards to the way they were before something went wrong. We're excited to provide this relief to those who store mission-critical data in their account.

If you have any questions, please don't be shy to comment here or send me a message at dasha@rewind.io.

Adam L_ Turco March 31, 2021

Thanks for this! 

Dasha Shakov April 1, 2021

Happy to help and always here to answer any questions! @Adam L_ Turco ✨

Aviva November 16, 2021

Is Backups for Trello through Restore the only way (i.e. to pay for that?) Is there a way to freely download a backup that can be uploaded/restored if something happens? 

1 vote
Didier Thizy July 14, 2019

My company Rewind.io has had some requests from our customers to extend our automated backup and rollback capabilities to Trello (and Atlassian in general). We would really like to understand the use cases that users in the ecosystem have. I've seen Trello used in lots of different contexts so understanding the use cases for backup, versioning and rollback scenarios, and any recommendations on how to prioritize to best serve the community would be really helpful!  Message me anytime at didier@rewind.io if interested to have a discussion. 

For reference - Rewind is a leader in backup/rollback for cloud apps like Shopify, Quickbooks and MailChimp. Over 20,000 customers have trusted Rewind to backup their critical data including Shopify's largest customers and brands like Hasbro and P&G.  

trello admin January 12, 2022

Hi, 

I have huge problems with Rewind.io, and I'm currently without backup, despite having been a customer for nearly a year, because of an issue linking to the account. If you are still working there, please have a word with your support staff. 

1 vote
Hubert Kriger February 18, 2019

Yes please for feature which provides restoring from JSON file. At this point, there are a few options for backup, but not a single one for restornig (at least known to me). It looks like for now, backuping is quite pointless.

1 vote
Mike Mallett January 23, 2019

This GitHub project seems to do the trick for backup to JSON files.

Not sure how to Restore any of that data though. That would be a nice feature.

https://github.com/mattab/trello-backup

YFdyh000 March 6, 2022

I am thankful that it is very simple to configure and quick for backing up many boards.

1 vote
Matthew N
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 1, 2018

Hi Sierk

When exporting to JSON, you need also to convert that JSON to a CSV file.  There's instruction at the bottom of this page.  Essentially, this export will be a reference guide for you, but there's not a way to import that back into Trello to recreate data.

What I practice, and suggest, is simply to make copies of your boards periodically (once a week, every other week, etc.). This way, if for some reason your board becomes corrupt, you can simply use the copied board.  To keep track of them, I just add "backup" to the end of the board title ie: Main Board becomes Main Board Backup.

I hope this helps!

Sierk Oudemans March 6, 2018

Thanks Matthew for your response.  It is a suitable answer to the problem though it has a couple of weaknesses:

• First, your search results are now multiplied by two.  Since I rely heavily on the search tool the annoyance of having every card show up twice will take some getting used to.
  • Your boards are still vulnerable to loss of data.  The incident that prompted me to look into this was a corruption of an entire board.  I do not know for sure but I can imagine that the problem I reported could easily have affected both the primary board and it's copy.  
  • The board I copied has somewhere between 130 and 150 cards and it took about 30 - 40 minutes to copy the board.  This was at work where I have access to high-speed internet. 

I am not quite ready to close this discussion.  If there is anyone else with any suggestions I would love to hear them.

Like Iryna Tretiakova likes this
Jordan McNamee December 10, 2018

Sorry so if there is some sort of corrupted element in one of my boards that erases all comments of a card that i have been working on for a year, is there anyway to back up that card so i don't lose all the comments? My team put significant amount of important comments in cards i plan to be able to look back at in a few years for a post mortem so can't risk losing this data. 

Like # people like this
0 votes
Valeriia Sitolenko September 18, 2023

Hi everyone! 

FluentPro, the company I represent, offers a solution for automated Trello backup and restore. FluentPro Backup is a cloud-based platform that provides the following features:

• set up continuous automated backup,
  • develop a schedule for backup or conduct it on demand,
  • perform a complete or partial backup,
  • restore damaged or lost data from point-in-time backup copy.

FluentPro Backup helps companies minimize the risks of data loss due to human errors and eliminate its damaging consequences. It also allows users to reduce downtime caused by corrupted critical data with restoration in a few clicks.

0 votes
BackupLABS June 7, 2023

Hi everyone,

BackupLABS now has a Trello Backup & Restore solution available. We backup your data automatically each day and your data is encrypted during transfer and at rest on our servers.

Marketplace link here: https://trello.com/power-ups/632331322a025d03113ed62a/backuplabs-trello-backup.

Setup takes less than 5 minutes.

We can backup (and restore!) all your boards, lists, cards, attachments, custom fields, checklists and covers. You also have the ability to save your Trello data as a zip file back to your computer.

We welcome any feedback (good and bad) to ensure that we can make this product better for our users and this community.

0 votes
Jeremy Wong March 1, 2021

Hello @Sierk Oudemans @Alvaro_Sassano @[deleted]

I've developed a solution that both backs up and restores Trello boards.  Am I able to discuss this with you over email initially to get your feedback/thoughts?

Cheers,

Jeremy

José Gollentz March 7, 2021

@Jeremy Wong : I think the whole community would be interested to know about your solution, I would also like to try your solution.

BR José

Like # people like this
Karl Beardsley March 16, 2021

Same here, would also be interested in your solution

Creag April 26, 2021

@Jeremy Wong I would also like to see your solution please

Dasha Shakov April 28, 2021

@José Gollentz @Karl Beardsley @Creag Hey all! If you're still looking for an automated backup and on-demand recovery solution for Trello, check out Backups for Trello in the Power-Up marketplace.

Simona January 1, 2022

Backups for Trello???  Never! It's ridiculous and insane to pay 1€/board/month just for the possibility to save YOUR OWN DATA! 

Dasha Shakov January 4, 2022

@Simona It's a personal choice. Many companies risk losing tens of thousands of dollars if their business comes to a halt due to lost data. Spending a $1/board/month to protect thousands of dollars in revenue is a worthwhile cost for hundreds of companies using Backups for Trello. 

Like Martin Op _t Land likes this
0 votes
Deleted user April 8, 2020

Hi, have you guys found a solution on this backup and restore or not?
I checked rewind.io and they have not launched this product yet.

Alvaro_Sassano May 14, 2020

Hi, Agus!! Do you kwon when rewind.io are going to launch?? Or other solution??

Thanks guys

Deleted user May 14, 2020

Hi Alvaro, nope, I've been waiting for rewind.io to launch it all this time. No other solution except manually copying each list in the board. Let's hope that rewind.io come out soon, and inform me if you know anything, too.

Thanks guys

Alvaro_Sassano May 14, 2020

Hi Agus, let's hope they get it out soon. A query, how do I copy the comments when copying the board? Because I did the test of copying a board and it does not copy the comments of the cards, which generally have a lot of information.

Deleted user May 14, 2020
Alvaro_Sassano May 15, 2020

Thank you very much!!

Dasha Shakov April 28, 2021

Hey @[deleted] and @Alvaro_Sassano

Dasha from Rewind here! 👋🏼 I'm really happy to announce that our solution, Backups for Trello has launched in the Power-Up marketplace! 

You can find it here: https://trello.com/power-ups/5f68db5b510db84238769710

Super stoked for you both to start your first automated backup of your Trello boards.

0 votes
danielcccsi June 16, 2019

I know that this is not a good enough solution, but I have tried saving the Trello board with the web browser "save as" functionality, and the hard copy that results, at least shows the cards and its text. I wonder if this is helpful. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events