It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How can i delete all archived cards?

Hi,

How can i delete all archived cards?

Thanks,

Bilgehan

6 answers

I second the calls here for a way to delete directly. Exactly as previous commenters have said, having to archive then delete is extra clicks, and the archived items just clutter up search results. The ability to delete directly/easily would be a big improvement.

1 vote

I second the calls here for bulk deletion.

1 vote

I understand Trello developers not wanting people to harm themselves by directly deleting cards - make them archive cards instead, and delete them one-by-one afterwards, if absolutely necessary.  Most people think they want a "delete immediate" feature, until they delete something important and can never get it back. The principle of archiving first & deleting later is a very very good idea. Most email systems do this, when you "delete" an email it just goes into a Trash or Recycle folder (which often expires old items after some amount of time, and gives the user a "empty trash" button of some sort for manual cleaning).

I have a task-list board which has had so many cards pass thru it over the last few years, it's pretty large when I back it up (by saving the JSON data for the board to my laptop).  And I know that I will never want to retrieve any of those archived cards, yet they stay associated with the board as part of its data.

Maybe a compromise can be found, such as a single button under board settings, "clear old archive", which would delete any archived cards older than like 1 year old.  And it would need an "are you sure?" prompt, so people can't delete things unexpectedly.  That would help me a lot.

I guess I could create a fresh task-list board, copy all my lists from old board to new board, delete the old board, and rename the new board to the old board's name.  I could just schedule myself to do that once a year ("spring cleaning"). Maybe I'll do that.

The thing is that products like Trello are used by people with many different use cases. I get what you write, Paul, and everything sounds sensible. Then put yourself into my shoes: I wrote a script against the Trello API to bulk import cards from another source. In the script I made a mistake which resulted in the description field to be wrong. So, I found myself having to delete 200 cards... And, yes, there are API endpoints to close (archive) and delete cards, but I guess you understand why I didn't necessarily want to write a custom script to delete cards.

0 votes

Hi Bilgehan,

Marta here, from Trello Support.

Right now, it's possible to delete cards by accessing the archive, which you can find on your board's menu, and deleting them from there. 

Right now, it's not possible to bulk delete archived cards, so you'll need to do that one by one. 

Here's an article from our help docs that gives you more details about it: http://help.trello.com/article/795-archiving-and-deleting-cards

I hope that helps!

Marta

Are there any plans for bulk-delete? Furthermore, if there was a way to delete cards and lists directly rather than having to archive them first. Maybe it's just me but I've never needed to revisit an archived task, but then again I'm a private single user, and usage patterns may vary when Trello is used as a collaborative tool. Still, those of use who use Trello as a to-do list would welcome a direct way to delete. For us, having to archive, then delete, is an unnecessary extra step. Like the Chinese say, it's like "taking off one's trousers to fart". I'd say make both options, "Archive" and "Delete" directly available, and let users decide what they wish to do. Thanks for an awesome app!

Like # people like this

+1

I don't understand why bulk delete (either in-app or api) is so restricted.. it's almost as if you want to retain the cards for your own use...

Deleting cards is currently a multi-click process with modal pop ups - this isn't a 2018 way of doing things - why can't i just swipe left to delete them from the archive in iOS??

Like # people like this

PLEASE add this feature. achived cards are shown in search result and causes slow response. which is not what I search (and likely for most people).

Jason YH I'm New Here Oct 07, 2019

Hey, Team Trello (I'm addressing you because Taco would surely do as asked)!

This has been an open complaint for years now..

I want to add to the chorus above. In addition to the needless multi-clicks to delete a card when we know it is not required (but are forced to Archive it first anyway), you also make us go into EACH board archive individually to look for archived crap. There is no easy way to view all archived cards across boards.

And I echo the question Scott Ivell raised above... Is there some data mining reason or internal (investor-related) metric that makes you cling to this stuff that your users would delete? I know that AWS space is cheap, but... what's the story?

Aren't you the least bit concerned about Asa na?

0 votes

I would also like to have the option to bulk delete archived cards.

Since this option is not available now, I use the following workaround:

I create a board called trash with a list called trash.

Then instead of archiving cards, I move them to the trash board/list.

Then every once in a while, I close the board, delete it and then create it again.

All cards in trash are deleted.

agreed!

0 votes

I also second the option to have the following features:

- card action that allows immediate DELETE (with warning) instead of archive

- bulk action to delete all archived cards at once

Reason: I use the JSON export to work with my data (primarily to just print a single card list using http://connie-clark.github.io/print-trello/) BUT the page takes a very very very long time to load because the JSON is including ALL data including all archived cards (JSON file is about 20x larger than it needs to be)

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published in Trello

NEW: Trello Board & Card Templates, Plus Community-Inspired Template Gallery

Hi there, Community! Jessica here from Trello Product Marketing. As we celebrate 50 million registered users, we're super excited to share several new features available in Trello now that will hel...

152 views 1 6
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you