Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I share a link to a board with one person

BlossomandBerry July 9, 2020

A few days ago I could create a board in trello generate a link to share with individuals and then they could click and join the board

Now I share the link, it says they cannot have access.

I have one board which I wish to give access to my VIP clients as a link and its embedded into my course. 

It was working and now it does not

The invite people to a board function at the top of trello also seems to have gone?

3 answers

0 votes
BlossomandBerry July 13, 2020

Wow thanks for taking the time to help me. I will check out the different boards and packages. Thank you so much ♡ 

0 votes
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 12, 2020

@BlossomandBerry you just have to add the board to a team. You can add it to a free team as long as you don't need more than 10 boards. If you need more than 10 boards in that team, you will need to upgrade that team to business class. If you need to invite members to more than one board they will be billed as multi-board guests.

BlossomandBerry July 12, 2020

Can they copy the board as their own version? On another thread if mentioned they can edit or delete sections of the board? 

Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 12, 2020

On a free team, there are no 'board controls' so yes, they can remove, edit, delete or move things around, exactly the same as you can. If you want to use free teams, I would suggest that any board you put into the free team for someone else to copy, you also keep a version for yourself, so that if anyone does move or delete anything, you still have a 'master' version that's set up exactly as it should be. 

On Business Class, you can set their permissions so that they can only do what you want them to.

On the BC front, if you have 10 clients and they're only on 1 board each, they wouldn't be billable. However, if they need to be on multiple boards, then they would be considered a multi-board guest and you would be charged for them.

In your case, you said you only worked with them for 6-weeks, if they only need to be on 1 board for that 6-weeks, then you wouldn't be charged for having them on a Business Class subscription.

I don't know if that helps at all?

Esme :)

BlossomandBerry July 13, 2020

I checked it out I still have to pay £9.99 per month for one board so I don't think you. can do this. Maybe I don't understand it still but there is no free version of business class. 

Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 13, 2020

You're right, there isn't a free version of Business Class (although there is a 14 day free trial), and the information around billable people is a little difficult to understand. I'll put things in bold below, not to shout but to try and explain the differences between board and team members.

It's £9.99 a month for 1 team with 1 member, with as many boards as you like.

If you have more than 1 team member (for example my Business Class team has myself and my husband, so we pay double), then the price will change.

I used BC for over a year on my own and only had my husband on 1 board and we only paid for me. When he started getting into it, we added him to the team and now he's on over 20 boards.

If you have BC with just you, and invited 20 people to 20 individual boards (as in, each person is only on one board) they're classed as single-board guests, and won't be billable, and you'll still only be charged for you. 

If you have yourself and one other member in the team - that will be £9.99 x 2.

If you add 1 person to 2 boards (not the team), then they become multi-board guests, and chargeable at the £9.99 per month in addition to the 1 or 2 team members you already pay for. 

Basically there is the overarching team where it could just be you, or it could be you and another person.

Then you have boards - boards in the team can be shared with as many outside people as you like (not in the team) and you won't be charged. But the minute you add a person to more than 1 board in BC that person becomes a multi-board guest and you will be charged for them in addition to however many people you already have in the team.

Does that make sense?!

Let me know!

0 votes
Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 10, 2020

Hi @BlossomandBerry 

Welcome to the Community!

Very recently, Trello has changed how sharing works, you can't share a personal board with another person anymore. 

To share now, you would need to create a team, don't let the name fool you! Create a team called something like 'Blossom & Berry Shared boards' and add the board to that, then you can share it around. I would mention to add the people you want to the board and not the team, if you add them to the team they can see all the boards.

So if you have, say, 5 boards that you want to share with 5 different people, only add them to the specific boards you want them to be able to see, not the whole team.

Free teams are limited to 10 boards per team, at the moment you can create as many free teams as you like, although that may not be around forever.

Hope that's helpful!

Please come back if I've not fully explained something, I'll be more than happy to have another go!

BlossomandBerry July 11, 2020

Hi 

What I want to do is share a link via my online course to my client. I don't want to manually add them to a team. I wanted to invite them to click and join. I have been doing this for the last few months and it works fine

How can I share a link for people to just click on to view the board and make it their own?

Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 11, 2020

Thanks for replying @BlossomandBerry

Because Trello/Atlassian are changing the way that personal boards are managed, if you want to invite someone else to a team, you have to put the board in a team, but it doesn't matter if it's a free team or a Business Class team.

Personal boards are now, well, personal, and cannot be shared with anyone.

If you make a free team, put the board in it, click on 'Show Menu' in the top right of the board, then 'More' and the link to the board will already be highlighted and you can share away!

I will say that you can't set permissions on free teams, so you can't set them to only be observers (like you can with Business Class). So anyone you add to the board (via the link) will be a full member and will be able to do anything and everything on the board, including deleting it, moving it all around and removing lists and adding lists.

So if this isn't something that you want people to be able to do, unfortunately upgrading to Business Class so that you can have 'observers' on the board is the only way to be able to do it. You can also set your boards so that people can't comment or add people to them on Business Class, so all they can do is copy the board.

I'm sorry if that's not the answer you wanted, considering how you've used Trello before.

Note that I am a Trello user just like most people on the Community. I'm not employed by Trello or Atlassian. 

BlossomandBerry July 11, 2020

Wow thats quite a change. My clients any stay with me for 6 weeks as I am a coach so this no longer will work for me anymore as I would not want to pay for them to be members of a team as they are not my team just clients 
Is there nothing I can do then? This is quite a big deal for me and my business model as I won’t be able to use Trello anymore with my clients in this way x 
Can you confirm if this is the case and I will look for an alternative platform 
Gayle 

Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 11, 2020

Hi @BlossomandBerry 

Can I ask which version of Trello you're using; Free or Business Class?

Depending on which version you have depends on how you can add people. If you could let me know, then I would be able to advise further!

BlossomandBerry July 12, 2020

The regular one 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events