How can I remove the admin who is longer with the company & no one else had admin right.

Karen Jones October 10, 2021

The admin has been gone for 3 years and no one else had admin rights. We also need to remove many others that no longer work at the company, but we can't because no one has the admin rights. Thanks. 

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Laura Holton _ACE Rotterdam_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 10, 2021

Hi @Karen Jones ðŸ‘‹

Welcome to the Community! Trello has a step by step process to help with this exact issue, unfortunately if the only admin is no longer affiliated with your Workspace, you're unable to contact them, you don't know their password, and they were not using a company email address for their Trello account, you will not be able to gain control of the Workspace. 

As this is the case the next things to do are as follows:

1. Set up a new Workspace
    If you're not able to gain admin access to your previous Workspace, you can create a new Workspace in Trello and set up admins for the new Workspace as appropriate.
  2. Set up multiple admins
    When you have multiple administrators for your Workspace, you lower the risk of losing continuity of control when an administrator leaves the company or Workspace.
  3. Move the boards from the old Workspace to the new one
    Even if you are not an administrator of the old Workspace, you may still be admin of boards within that Workspace. If so, you can change the Workspace to which a board belongs to move existing boards to the new Workspace.
  4. Copy any boards you're not able to move to the new Workspace
    If you're a normal member of a board (but not an admin), you can copy the board and then add the copied board to the new Workspace. Optionally, you may wish to delete cards from the board that belongs to the old Workspace. Another option is to create a new board, and then move each list from the old board to the new one. Unlike copying a board, this will preserve the comments and history of the cards.
  5. Canceling Standard or Premium
    If you are an admin of your Workspace, you can cancel Trello Standard or Premium via the link at the bottom of your Workspace's billing page.

If you are not an admin of the Workspace (or no longer have access to the Workspace), the most direct approach is to contact another admin in the Workspace and ask them to cancel Standard or Premium.

If you are not an admin of the Workspace, are unable to contact another admin to cancel, and wish to cancel Standard or Premium so that your credit card is no longer charged, please contact Trello support. While we are unable to grant control of the Workspace by adding additional admins, we can cancel the subscription on your behalf. Some proof of purchase may be required. The Workspace won't lose any data when the subscription is canceled.

I hope this helps but please let me know if you have any other questions 😊

All the best,

Laura

Mary Kate Brogan June 15, 2022

I'm an admin of a Workspace but not an admin of a specific board within that workspace, and the person who was the admin for that board has left and no longer has access to their company email. Is there any way I can have admin rights restored to my account for this board (I was an admin before), or will I have to copy the board and start over, as these instructions suggest?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events