Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I generalize/relativize the destination list of a Card Move trigger?

Dane Salmon August 25, 2021

I want to trigger an action whenever a card is moved to any list except two (2). This forces me to create multiple triggers for the majority of the lists on the board.

Is there a way to generalize the target list criteria, similar to how the source list criteria can be relativized? 

Thanks in advance.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Hannah Humbert - Simpla Workflows
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 25, 2021

Potentially variables could solve this for you? For example, let's say I want to move all cards with the green label on board A to board B. In board A, the lists are 1, 2, and 3, and I also have these lists on board B. When I apply the green label to a card in board A that's in list 1, I want it to move to board B and land in list 1 also.

The rule would be "When a green label is applied to a card, move the card to list {triggercardlistname} in board B".

You would just need to ensure the lists are named exactly the same on both boards.

Does that make sense for your workflow?

Dane Salmon August 26, 2021

Unfortunately, this 'mirroring hack' will not do as I am only working with a single board. Also, the need is more along the lines of being able to filter which list(s) on the board triggers an action whenever a card is moved into it from another list on the same board.

The current way of doing this creates a tedium when the trigger should be one the majority of the lists.  For instance, if I have 10 lists on a board, and I want to create a "when a card is added to list" trigger all of them, except 2, I will have to create 8 separate triggers. Is there a way to just say, "when a card is added to list except..."?

Nevertheless, I appreciate your feedback; it was a good try. :)

Best Regards

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 26, 2021

Ok, gotcha. Maybe try using one of the following:

Screenshot 2021-08-27 131553.png

Alternatively, you could use regex in your trigger to create an OR statement. E.g.
Screenshot 2021-08-27 131802.png
Using regex:/.*(A|B|C).*/ means that the trigger will apply when a card is added to lists A, B, or C.

Dane Salmon August 26, 2021

Ok, I can work with this.

Thanks a lot. You have been a big help!

Community Leader
Community Leader
August 26, 2021

Great! Happy to help. Hope that works out for you 🙂

Dane Salmon September 3, 2021

Yes, it works fine. Just curious to know if Trello's regex engine supports case-insensitivity. This would be most helpful. 

Thanks.

Community Leader
Community Leader
September 6, 2021

Good question! I'm not entirely sure actually. There's no documentation around the regex function that I know of, so it might be worth reaching out to Trello directly to see if they're able to share any additional information around how it works (or you could just test it out :)).

Dane Salmon September 7, 2021

Ok, fine.

Thanks a lot.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events