How can I gate or restrict moving a card to a new column according to user permissions or roles?

jccockre February 11, 2019

Let's say I have three columns, State 1, State 2, and State 3.

I want only user Alice to be able to move a card from State 1 to State 2, but only user Bob to be able to move a card from State 2 to State 3.

Or it could be done at the level of role or group permission, i.e. only Developers can move a card from State 1 to State 2, but only Testers can move it from State 2 to State 3.

Is there a power-up or configuration option that will facilitate this behavior?

3 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 12, 2019

@jccockre here is a Trellinator script that would allow you to configure who is allowed to move from designated lists or into designated lists:

https://gist.github.com/iaindooley/7b743ecdf7c7c40e21a3827c73201af9

Your permission board would have a bunch of lists with names like "into Stage 3" and "from Stage 1" with one card per person allowed to take that action -- the default will just be to allow the move if there are no permissions set, and the user would receive a notification that they weren't allowed to do that action.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mike
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 12, 2019

Hi Jason,

Unfortunately, Trello doesn't currently support that level of granularity in permission. Once someone has access to a board, they have full access to that board, but I'll be sure to let the team know this is something you'd like to see in the future!

ramerp November 15, 2019

I got a same requirement. There should be an option for role based access to lists and cards, without it would be a challenge in setting up workflows.

Like Travis Austin likes this
Poochee Yuen March 11, 2021

How about only members in the card can move the card?

Like # people like this
Travis Austin March 16, 2021

Role-based permissions is the way to go here! Would make everybody's lives 1000 times easier with large teams

Like # people like this
Sap Studio April 3, 2021

Yeah, we have the same need. I think intuitively we should have a setting where only people added to a given card can move the card. Otherwise the entire adding-member-to-card functionality seems pretty useless if it's just a decorative mailing list thing...

Like Alex Wostry likes this
Gerente General September 11, 2021

I would like to have a Scrum Lead role that can move cards around, while assignees can only edit within the card, but are not allowed to move them, building up accountability

Like # people like this
0 votes
Cole Paul Andrew March 11, 2019

I have the opposite problem, I want to move a card to another board and it won't let me

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events