It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How can I gate or restrict moving a card to a new column according to user permissions or roles?

Let's say I have three columns, State 1, State 2, and State 3.

I want only user Alice to be able to move a card from State 1 to State 2, but only user Bob to be able to move a card from State 2 to State 3.

Or it could be done at the level of role or group permission, i.e. only Developers can move a card from State 1 to State 2, but only Testers can move it from State 2 to State 3.

Is there a power-up or configuration option that will facilitate this behavior?

3 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
mikelj Atlassian Team Feb 12, 2019

Hi Jason,

Unfortunately, Trello doesn't currently support that level of granularity in permission. Once someone has access to a board, they have full access to that board, but I'll be sure to let the team know this is something you'd like to see in the future!

0 votes
Answer accepted

@Jason Cockrell here is a Trellinator script that would allow you to configure who is allowed to move from designated lists or into designated lists:

https://gist.github.com/iaindooley/7b743ecdf7c7c40e21a3827c73201af9

Your permission board would have a bunch of lists with names like "into Stage 3" and "from Stage 1" with one card per person allowed to take that action -- the default will just be to allow the move if there are no permissions set, and the user would receive a notification that they weren't allowed to do that action.

I have the opposite problem, I want to move a card to another board and it won't let me

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published in Trello

There's a lot to love about the next evolution of Trello Community

Hi, team, Whether you've been hanging out here in the Trello collection for awhile, or whether you're just now joining us from the Trello Slack Community, we’ve got some exciting news about th...

2,247 views 22 44
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you