Next:
badges earned

Your Points Tracker
Challenges
Leaderboard
  • Global
  • Feed

Badge for your thoughts?

You're enrolled in our new beta rewards program. Join our group to get the inside scoop and share your feedback.

Join group
Recognition
Give the gift of kudos
You have 0 kudos available to give
Who do you want to recognize?
Why do you want to recognize them?
Kudos
Great job appreciating your peers!
Check back soon to give more kudos.

Past Kudos Given
No kudos given
You haven't given any kudos yet. Share the love above and you'll see it here.

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How can I disable links being replaced with "preview titles"?

In the past week, all links to titled webpages in Trello are shown as titles along with an icon of their host domain – e.g. google docs links show up as *Google logo* Name of Google Document.

I find this feature extremely infuriating since for the purpose of my work, seeing the raw link at a glance is a lot more important than knowing what its meta-name is. Is there any way to disable this feature?

2 answers

1 vote
Felix Atlassian Team May 04, 2021

There's a workaround to auto-convert cards from "Link cards" to "Regular cards": add a Butler rule to your board that adds, then removes a label (or a member) to/from the card.

This works, because Link cards can't have labels, members or descriptions.

No promises this will continue to work, but should work for now (we're looking at adding support for Link cards more formally to Butler).

Out of curiosity: why do you want/need to see the URL?

Oh well, that sucks – since I'm not in charge of my board, I was hoping for a user-end solution.

I need to see the URL because I work with a CMS system for a news website and the URLs include info on which section of the website each article is in. When I need to edit an article, I'll have a quick glance at the link in the card to find out which section to open in CMS. I don't need to know the link title since it's already in the card title (and whenever people post links they describe what the link is, anyway). And in some cases I can just glance the ID in the URL to bypass all steps altogether and quickly open up an edit page. 

Sure, I can hover over the link to see that info, but that's just an unnecessary extra step.

Besides, I just have a general distaste for all QoL "features" that seek to hide what is seen as "technical" info from users and instead complicate the process further. That, and when cosmetic changes are rolled out without adding a toggle to user preferences >:-(

Very much hoping to see this become a toggleable feature in the near future!

Oh, so I'd assumed that the links were "Link cards" - is that not the case? Are the links in the card description/comments? If so, you can wrap them in backticks (`) to have them render as "code", which prevents Trello from unfurling (showing the preview).

I'll be quite honest – I've no idea what "link cards" are and how they differ from "regular" ones :))

Yep, the links are in description/comments.

The code idea is great, though I imagine it'll be an issue getting everyone on the board to adopt that technique =)

Like Felix likes this

Cool, thanks!

There's a bunch of info on Link cards here, if you're interested: https://help.trello.com/article/1256-link-cards

Note that you _can_ also automate wrapping links in descriptions in backticks with Butler, if you're dedicated enough wink

I've dabbled with Butler a bit, but wasn't able to figure out how to do that. Would you mind giving me some pointers?

0 votes

There isn’t a way to disable this unfortunately. I’m very sorry. 

Hi! 

Are there plans to add a functionality to disable link previews? The feature was newly added, so it should be fresh in your developpers' minds, right? Because wrapping links in backticks, as suggested by Felix, is very time-consuming... :(

Thanks!

Sophie

Like Vadim Galimov likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Trello

📹 Favorite Trello templates

Hello Community!  My name is Brittany Joiner and I am a Trello enthusiast and Atlassian Community Leader. In this video, I'll share my favorite Trello templates. Templates mentioned in ...

1,314 views 12 31
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you