How can I create a sub-task?

batCattle November 11, 2019

Possibly stale Trello docs about Task dependencies (would link, but being flagged as spam) a "dependency" system can be created using Butler rules. The implication is that Butler is an integrated part of Trello, but many searches will tell you it "used to be a bot, now it's a power-up!". Alas, now it's integrated, as of almost a year ago. 

The doc suggest one can add items to a Sub-tasks checklist and have Butler create new tasks that link back to the original, and where their completion drives completion of the parent task. The problem is that the ruile-building UI, even in "advanced" mode does not appear to be able to create the kind of rule that the doc suggests can be created:

when an item is added to checklist "Sub-tasks" by anyone,
convert the item into a linked card

In particular, "convert" is not an action, and honestly I did not see any reasonable replacements like "create" or "add".

There are other rules given in the article in order to implement the kinds of patterns it's talking about. I can only imagine another change is coming, where sub-tasks and pre-requisites will be more directly built-in, but for now, what is the way? Everything I find on Butler or elsewhere seems to talk about a power-up or a bot, and both appear to be defunct/stale.

2 answers

0 votes
batCattle November 14, 2019

As it turns out Trello Support had an answer for me, and it is indeed possible with the new built-in Butler. Alas I can only make one Butler rule with my free account, and creating task dependencies takes 2 or 3, but this first rule for turning checklist items into tasks linking back is definitely doable. The "convert to a linked card" action is under Cascade in the action categories.

0 votes
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 13, 2019
batCattle November 14, 2019

Sadly I think the power-up was removed. Apparently the transition is much more recent than I thought hence no docs on the new integrated Butler. Trello Support was able to provide an answer how it is done with the new rule-building GUI (which may or may not have changed). 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events