• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

How can I add all unchecked items in a checklist in Trello to another card in a different list?

carolyn french Community Leader Dec 20, 2020

Some background: I really enjoyed building a menu board for Thanksgiving, using the lists for Appetizer, Side Dishes, Main Course, Dessert, and the cards for the individual dishes with checklists for the ingredients (with pictures too- it was a drool-worthy board). Of course I went through my cabinet and checked off the ingredients I already have in my house. The rest of the unchecked items are what I needed to go shopping for.

I'm trying to find an automation to bring all the unchecked items across all the cards into one card called Shopping, so I have one list to look at when I go to the grocery store.

Now that I'm doing this again for Christmas, I thought I would ask here to see if anyone has any ideas, or if anyone has done this before? TIA!

1 answer

@carolyn french here's a solution and have a blessed Christmas :

when the name of a card starts with "Build my shopping list", collect all cards with an incomplete checklist into links in checklist "gathered_cards" using pattern "[{cardname}]({cardlink})", for each card linked from an item in checklist "gathered_cards", convert all the incomplete items in checklist "{*}" into cards in list "Inbox" using pattern "{checklistitemname}", find a card with link "{triggercardlink}", remove the "gathered_cards" checklist from the card, and rename the card to "My Shopping List"

when the name of a card starts with "My Shopping List", collect all cards in list "Inbox" into items in checklist "Ingredients To Buy" using pattern "{cardname}"

You can have a third command to archive all the cards in "Inbox"

@carolyn french limitation : if you have more than 1 checklist in a course/card, Trello only picks up the first. That had been my observation.

carolyn french Community Leader Dec 21, 2020

Thank you so much for your response!

I'm trying to implement, and I only got so far as the Trigger "when the name of a card starts with "Build my shopping list". Can I copy and paste your solution somewhere so I don't have to build it from scratch in Butler? @SGi Admin 

@carolyn french here's are the images from Butler screen

Screen Shot 2020-12-22 at 7.56.09 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2020-12-22 at 7.57.03 AM.jpg

Eugenie I'm New Here Jan 24, 2021

Thank you very much for your suggestion! 
I am trying to make the same think for meal planning board. However I get only 10 items in the checklist "Ingredients to buy" while there are more unchecked items on the board. Do you have any idea how to fix this, please?

@carolyn french 

Sorry for slow reply. As you Trello does not work that way. The screen shot is the closes you get. I think. 

@Eugenie 

there is nothing in the second command that limits the collection except Trello impose timeout. I known they just started to look at this. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Trello

Introducing: A Whole New Trello

After a decade of growing the most ubiquitous visual framework for productivity and project management, we are evolving Trello’s boards, lists, and cards model to bring context to content and help te...

582 views 23 21
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you