Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello Epics/Butler Question: Can you autogen new Cards when a Template action is triggered

david vaughan May 13, 2020

Hi Everyone. 

The problem I am trying to solve is we have a need to create a template card for when we onboard new clients. Within this "new client" card we use Hello Epics to create subtasks (child cards)  that are assigned to individual/departments. The issue is how can i autogenerate new child cards when that template action is triggered. As i have it setup now it of course will just recreate the same child cards when use create a new card based off a trigger which are tied to already existing child cards. My goal when that template is triggered is to create a new unique set of child cards. i have attached a screenshot of the card i would like to use as a template. The other option is for each new client to have a "new board" where i just copy that board. 
New client template.png 

Any thoughts here appreciated!

1 answer

0 votes
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 16, 2020

@david vaughan yeah this is a problem with any sub-tasking mechanism in Trello, ie. if you link to cards from a checklist, then you create a new card from that template then your new card will link to the same cards as the original template.

I don't know how to fix this with the Epics powerup, but if you're using checklists to subtask then you can just have your template checklist unlinked and create the links to new cards at the time the card is created. It's the same basic approach here but you'd trigger on card creation:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Trello-articles/Trello-Subtasks-with-Butler/ba-p/1060392

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events