Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google calendar does not synchronize/update when new calendar entry is made in Trello

Andrea June 23, 2017

Hi

when I add a new calendar entry in Trello for a card it does not update in Google calendar.

it only works when i create a new URL iCalendar-Feed and then add a new calendar in google. then all entries are shown.

if i then add a new calendar entry in trello, again, it will not show in google calendar.

I read that google only updates about once a day, but i created the entries yesterday and can still not see them in google calendar.

thanks for helping

24 answers

6 votes
Brandon Willis August 20, 2018

Hate to be that guy in the forum, but "me too".

2 votes
Gabor November 20, 2018

+1

@[deleted] / Trello team, please fix the calendar sync issue. It's such a core functionality that might enforce me to look for another solution, what I didn't want.

Gabor December 10, 2018

Problem SOLVED.

I've got a quite comprehensive and helpful answer from Atlassian staff, and they highlighted me that the sync issue is not because of their service. The calendar system (such as Google Calendar) is responsible for polling the information, Trello cannot affect its behavior. But...

I thought that Cronofy is a paying service. Yes, it is, but not the power-up in Trello. So, you can turn on the Cronofy power-up, and it's free (at least one power-up per board).

And yes, it does everything and a little bit more than I wanted. Highly recommended. Thank you to this forum, to Atlassian / Trello support, and mostly to the Cronofy team that you helped me to find a solution to keep Trello and my Google Calendar synced.

Cheers.

Like # people like this
Wallace Carlos October 2, 2019

but can you sync all boards with cronofy and trello in the free version? If so, could you take a step by step please?

Cheers.

Like Holly Leary likes this
Pardot_Kynes March 26, 2020

Cronofy isn't a solution. You saw what mount of information it wants instead? Everything except your Trello password!

Drew Lanphear March 12, 2022

Pardot_Kynes is absolutely correct.  Cronofy DOES NOT fix the synchronization issue.  The only way to get your Trello due dates (card due dates or individual action items) to synchronize with your Google calendar is to MANUALLY go into Trello, copy the calendar URL and add it to your Google calendar every time you wish to synchronize the two.

Trello and Google do not want to play nice with each other.....plain and simple.

2 votes
Rasool Fahraji July 18, 2018

I faced the same problem as well. I'm happy to find it out before upgrading to the gold version for the company. It is absolutely out if syncing does not work properly. Trello please fix the bug! I need you!

2 votes
Patrick Zhan July 4, 2018

I am having the same issue too. Without refreshing the url, I tried removing and adding again the trello url to my Google Calendar and I did not have the last entry though I expected it to retrieve last entries directly as it is requesting it at first at the registration of the calendar.

It looks more like a Trello issue as the provided url does not provide the last entries, but when you regenerate a new url, it works fine.

1 vote
jarno_tahvanainen
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 2, 2024

This is an old post, but the issues with Calendar sync seem to persist. Please vote for this suggestion so that maybe Trello will finally take the Calendar Sync matter seriously: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/TRELLO-144

1 vote
Orin Hutchings June 23, 2020

I previously commented on this forum about using zzBots to create a full 2-Way Sync between Trello and Google Calendar.

You can now install this full 2-Way Sync in the Bot Store in zzBots.

Install it here: https://www.zzbots.com/store/cEGhHX88cK5AFXWdX

This will sync new and updated cards or events both ways between Trello and Google Calendar. There are videos in the install process to help you get it set up.

1 vote
Charlie Pinker January 9, 2019

Agreed this is worth fixing. The calendar integration opens up the potential to build in accurate and useful visibility of cards/tasks stored in Trello in Google Calendar, but this information can not currently be relied upon due to the unpredictability of the displayed information in Google Calendar, deeming the feature essentially useless in its current state.

Ricky Charpentier March 21, 2019

Hi Charlie,

I'm actually working on a service that integrates Trello and Google Calendar together, and it'll do exactly this. I use both Trello and google calendar and it's incredibly annoying not being able to keep them in sync. If you're interested, I can let you know when I'm done, if it's something that would help you out.

-Ricky

Like Daniel Alonso likes this
Drew Lanphear March 12, 2022

Not true....Cronofy does not work.

1 vote
Pamela Thilo January 5, 2019

Has there been no progress on fixing this? I'm about to either upgrade or have my org leave Trello and this is a key consideration. Do upgraded accounts encounter this issue as well, or is it only on free accounts?

Ricky Charpentier March 21, 2019

Hi Pamela,

I was telling a user below you that I'm working on something that'll better sync trello and google calendar together, including this issue. I use both and it's annoying that they can't stay in sync. You mentioned that this is important to your org and you'll leave Trello if this doesn't get fixed... I think I can help. If you're interested, let me know and I'll give you a heads up when it's done!

-Ricky

Like Tobias Diedrichsen likes this
duane.bobst April 4, 2022

Im very interested please keep me in the loop. 

1 vote
narkanister November 25, 2018

Same issue. Annoying - I'm trying to plan my week by adding due dates to tasks in Trello. But unuseable if it doesn't update in Google :(

1 vote
charleshan November 1, 2018

This happens because Google Calendar doesn't fetch the changes on a consistent basis. Products such as Planyway solves this problem but this really should be solved by the Trello Team or Google Calendar.

Please add two-way sync with Google Calendar.

Chris de Kock May 6, 2020

Not the case in my situation. Just installed Planyway power-up in Trello and at first couldn't syng Google Calender due to "allow popups in your browser", which we did allow, cleared cache etc. but still did not work. 

We had to login to Trello Web, add the Planyway Cal. from there and it authenticated.

Been 20min now and no Google Cal. content coming up in Playway.

Buggy? How long does an average sync take?

1 vote
mehulalian July 23, 2018

Even the same happened with my whole team as well. After removal of date from trello cards (which would be already sync with google calendar through powerup and showing on particular calendar dates) would still display as it is even if we remove date from trello card.

Ideally when we add date to trello card then a link of this trello card will be shown on particular date on google calender which should be disappeared from calender once we remove date from trello.

I don't know whether it will be disappeared after sometime from calender or will never disappear.

Let's wait and watch.

1 vote
ozhyhinas March 28, 2018

I'm having the same problem, is there a fix for this bug?

1 vote
Matthew N
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 23, 2017

Hey Andrea

The process can be a bit finnicky at times, sometimes you'll see it sooner, sometimes later. It all depends on when Google pings the server for the updates.

I would recommend using a 3rd party called Cronofy for Trello to sync your board to your calendar. Cronofy is a bit more reliable, and allows for quicker updates than iCal.  

Hope that helps!

Andrea June 23, 2017

Thanks Matthew! I will try it and post how it worked....possibly next week rather than today.

Have a nice weekend!

Andrea June 24, 2017

Hi Matthew. I installed cronofy yesterday and connected the relevant calendars, but still not all entries from Trello are shown  in google calendar. Do you have another idea?

Thanks

Andrea June 24, 2017

Now the entries finally appeared! But it took more than 24 h i think. In any case that is better than never :)

Thanks again, Matthew!

Rachel Plett March 5, 2018

Hi Matthew,

I am running into the same issue. I appreciate the insights you shared with Andrea, but do you know when the Trello team will be able to address this bug? I rarely have syncing issues when I add other calendars to my Google Calendar via URL (eg. Outlook) though you're right, it's not always instantaneous. I have given trello 24 hours to sync and it hasn't. The only way to sync the calendar is to remove it and add it back via the URL.  I use Trello and Google Calendar extensively to manage tasks and projects, so having them integrate properly is super important.

Can you please let us know when you plan to have a fix?

Like jcdeaton likes this
Daniel Ingham May 7, 2018

just testing out trello gold, added the calendar power up, removed an item from trello still remains on google calendar. you'd think it'd be an instant thing most other things are with cloud sync. 

Pedro Poveda September 11, 2018

Cronofy is awesome, thanks.

Tahar Remadi November 26, 2018

Thanks Matthew :)

0 votes
Abdurahman Itani October 8, 2023

Problem still persists to this day!

0 votes
Abdurahman Itani October 8, 2023

2023 and still the problem has not been fixed!

0 votes
Deleted user January 6, 2021

i am not the me too guy

I am the guy who is LAUGHING OUT LOUD

ATLASSIAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAN

3 years not being able to fix this issue

Trello might be not your focus, but for what reason did you aquire it then?

having 50 million users that you give no quality software?

another BIG LAUGH found on wikipedia

AHAHAHAHAHHAAAPPLE why is that software so big on iOS ?

is it better there?

are we all Android users?

Oh shoot

Atlassian loves Apple users more

Size

15.68 MB (Android)
139.7 MB (iOS)

0 votes
shacharm2 June 5, 2020

2020. still does not work. 

Great product, atlassian. 

0 votes

So, it's about 3 years. Is there any solution?

Gabor March 26, 2020

It seems you need to address your question to Google Calendar team...

Well, Mailfence have same issues. But ofc it syncs faster than Google.

I mean... 3 years. Why Trello not implemented their own calendar for all boards at one place?

Like Chris de Kock likes this

Ah... 4 hours and there's a solution. A Thunderbird. Free and no personal info involved.

Chris de Kock May 6, 2020

3 years and some months, been waiting 30min for a initial sync. and NADA. ZERO. NOTHING. Almost got exited to purchase Planyway and Trello.... anyway....

0 votes
Orin Hutchings December 24, 2019

You can use zzBots to create a full 2-Way Sync between Trello and Google Calendar for all new and updated cards or events. You can do this on the free plan, and it will sync every 5 minutes.

Here is a step by step walkthrough video of how to create this 2-Way Sync in zzBots:

How to 2-Way Sync Between Trello and Google Calendar - zzBots

I hope this answer is helpful, and solves your problems syncing between Trello and Google Calendar.

0 votes
謝卓芸 December 22, 2019

嗨~中文的使用者大家好!

有蠻多人推薦power up要跟日曆整合的,但我使用了幾天之後發現訊息完全無法同步到上面,所以找到了這篇文章。

我發現這同步問題一直出現,已經兩三年了。我之後使用了上面網友推薦的工具:Cronofy for Trello,啟用同步後,資料有順利跟日曆整合。

目前剛裝好就同步上去了!目前使用沒什麼問題。推推!

0 votes
Steven De Schamphelaere December 10, 2018

Hi there,

I experienced syncing problems when accented or special characters are being used in card names... especially when emailing new cards to my board. Perhaps the same issue prevents syncing in Google Calendar?

0 votes
Tahar Remadi November 26, 2018

Thanks @Matthew N! I just installed and tried Cronofy for Trello, as you suggested.

The tool is AWESOME!

Synchronisation goes both ways between Google Calendar and Trello. You can even edit your cards from Google Calendar (due time and content), and it updates instantly on Trello.

Also, you don't need anymore to create a separate calendar on Google for Trello. You can choose to populate a current calendar so that the result is more homogenous.

This made my day!

narkanister November 26, 2018

Ah - thanks for this I just added Cronofy and I'm in heaven!! This is what I've spent 10+ years searching for ... a decent task manager that properly integrates with Google Calendar. 

Thank you Trello and Cronofy.... heaven ;)

謝卓芸 December 22, 2019

I fix it too!

Thx

0 votes
Travis Meyer November 14, 2018

+1. We've experimented with Cronofy and Planyway to pull all of our cards in, but you'd think Trello would show it natively. We use Sunsama to show our Google Calendar side-by-side with our Trello cards, but it still lacks actually showing *all* of our Trello cards on the calendar. Maybe something to build in the future.

0 votes
matthewfu October 21, 2018

I don't think so. Having the problem still.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events