Get trello emails only for subscribed boards, lists or cards

Maxime Massaer November 30, 2017

Hi everyone,

I need to receive emails from trello, but not all the emails sent with the default settings. I don't want to know about all the activities that takes place on all our team boards, but just the activities on boards, lists or cards I'm subscribed to.

Is it possible to receive only these notifications, if I disabled the email notifications on my account page?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mike
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 1, 2017

Hi Maxime,

No, if you disable those email notifications, you'll stop all of them.

The notifications that you don't want to receive...are those cards or board that you can remove yourself as a member from? Alternatively, on a card that you've been added to, you can unsubscribe, despite being a member, and that will cut down on notifications.

The short answer is that you can't separate the notifications, and only receive subscription related notifications, but there are ways to cut down on notifications!

Maxime Massaer December 12, 2017

Ok, thank you very much.

So, I have to unsubscribe manually from every card except the ones I want to receive notifications from ?

Do you know if Trello plans to add a better way to do this ?

Mike
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 12, 2017

Default settings will not subscribe you to anything, but if you've subscribed to a board or card at some point, you would need to unsubscribe manually, yes. There's not a way to unsubscribe in bulk, unfortunately.

One feature you might be seeing is a current test we're running, where you'll be automatically subscribed to cards that you comment on. When you're writing a comment on a card, you'll see a checkbox below the comment box (if you're part of the test!) and can uncheck that to stop that automatic subscription.

Maxime Massaer December 13, 2017

Ok, thank you for your answer. 

I hope they will implement this feature someday.

Lucy Keig January 31, 2018

I find I'm now getting scores of trello emails a day, some just listing cards that have been moved, but I have to sift through all of them in case I miss a comment or question where I was tagged. Any way to simply only be notified of comments/tags and not "moves" would be great.

Mike
Atlassian Team
January 31, 2018

Hi Lucy,

If you're getting emails about card moves, you're subscribed to something along the way—maybe that's the card itself, the list the card belongs to, or the entire board.

You're not able to customize which sorts of notifications notify you by email and which don't, but if you don't want those move notifications, you can unsubscribe from whichever you're subscribed to: http://help.trello.com/article/799-subscribing-to-cards-lists-and-boards

Lucy Keig January 31, 2018

Thanks Michael,

I just checked and I'm not subscribed to the boards, however I did create them... I just worry if I opt-out I'll miss comments/tags too?

I think I just discovered I'm randomly subscribed to A BUNCH of cards and that's the problem - thank you!

Do you know if it default subscribes in certain circumstances? I would like to avoid this in future

Mike
Atlassian Team
February 1, 2018

The experiment I mentioned to Maxime is still running, so I'd bet that's what's happening—when you comment on a card and you're in that experiment, Trello will default to auto-subscribing you to that card. When you're commenting on a card, you'll see a checkbox underneath the comment box that you can uncheck to NOT subscribe. This setting is also sticky, so you won't have to turn it off each time you comment on a card. Once you turn it off once, it'll stay off!

Lucy Keig February 1, 2018

OMG for sure..... it started maybe 6 weeks ago

Joanna Turska September 24, 2018

Hi Michael,

I've only recently joined Trello and am currently working on adding colleagues to it. We have one team and each member will have their own board. 

I've been trying to clarify how tagging members works (adding them to cards and comments). If I create a card in my board and tag a member in it (member who has not joined my board) to let them know the card has been created - will they receive a notification by email?

Or, if team members want to receive notifications about actions in other team members boards do they have to join all of them?

Mainly, I'm looking for confirmation of when the email notifications are sent out to team members please?

Thank you very much!

0 votes
Ian Campbell December 16, 2017

"One feature you might be seeing is a current test we're running, where you'll be automatically subscribed to cards that you comment on."

I like this idea. Hope it comes soon.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events