It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Filter cards with text from a list (or another card)

We have a system that emails our team a set of tasks to complete. Of those tasks,  I only need to take care of a handful.

I'm forwarding all the tasks to my Trello board and I'd like to filter the cards that contain some words from a list (aprox. 30 items).

Ex.: I'd like to keep the cards that contains the text {banana, tomato, orange, <+- 30 items>...} but archive the cards that do not fit the filter.

I tried using butler but I'm afraid I'd have to create one rule for each word to filter. Or am I missing something?

4 answers

Thanks everyone for the help. But I ended up writing a crude Python script that uses the Trello API to do what I was after. It took some time but at least it as fun remembering how to use Python :)

0 votes
Iain Dooley Community Leader Feb 26, 2019

@Daniel Victoria when you forward an email into Trello you can include a "#" symbol to add a label to the card, then you can filter your board according to those labels. When you choose multiple labels it is an "OR" filter so you will see any card with any of those labels applied... this seems like what you want.

Once you filter the list to show the cards you want to can quickly move them to another list using keyboard shortcuts ( the "." and "," keys move cards right and left respectively) then turn off the filter and archive all other cards in the list.

@Iain DooleyThanks for your help but I'm not sure I'm understanding how to do this.

The thing is I receive a bunch of tasks and I'd like to filter just some of them. I'm trying to do this using Butler with the following rule:

when a card with a name containing "VICTORIA or GREGO" is added to list "Entrada", add the green "pesquisa" label to the card

But that is not working. I tried using "{VICTORIA or GREGO}", {VICTORIA, GREGO}" but I can't get this to work. Is this even possible?

@Daniel Victoria it would need to be:

when a card with name containing "VICTORIA" or "GREGO" is added to list "Entrada" ... etc. etc. etc

@Iain Dooley 

But I'm not able to add "VICTORIA" or "GREGO" to the rule using the Butler Power-Up. It wraps the entire string in quotes ("VICTORIA or GREGO"). That is, I'm not finding where I could type out the rule

@Daniel Victoria Oh right, I've never used the Butler power up interface, only the Bot.

@Katrin Anger knows how the power up interface works though!

Like Katrin Anger likes this
Katrin Anger Community Leader Feb 27, 2019

@Daniel Victoria , @Iain Dooley 

Hi Daniel,

here it is. 

Open the Rule Interface, and on the first tab it's the 2nd option. Click on the filter icon and select "with a name containing". Then you enter your search criteria (see 2nd screenshot). Butler transforms it a little, but it should work this way. 

If not, drop me a line again. 

Best,

Katrin

Butler-Rule.png

Butler-Filter.png

@Katrin AngerThanks for your help but I can't get it to work properly. Maybe I'm being confused by the quotes and escape characters.

Here is a screenshot of my ruleScreenshot from 2019-02-27 08-29-54.png

0 votes
Katrin Anger Community Leader Feb 27, 2019

@Daniel Victoria 

Ok, I tested this, and it looks as if the Butler Power-Up isn't able to use "or" conditions at this point in time. You can set up rule for each of the names you are trying to filter ("VICTORIA", "GREGOR"), but if you are on a free account that won't help you very much.

I suggest you ask @Oscar Triscon whether "or"-conditions will be possible in the foreseeable future. Or, maybe if action multipliers can be used in such a case.

Hi @Katrin Anger ,

Thanks for your input. Its a pity that "or" conditions do not work with Butler Power-up. I'm on a free account so I can only have one rule. But even if I were on a paid account, my list of words to search for is quite long (30). So I'd need to setup 30 separate rules. Would be much nicer if I could just do it all in one aggregated rule.

Hope @Oscar Triscon  can implement Boolean operators in the Butler Power-up triggers.

I can't promise anything, especially in the short-term, but we'll look into it. Thank you for your feedback!

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published in Trello

There's a lot to love about the next evolution of Trello Community

Hi, team, Whether you've been hanging out here in the Trello collection for awhile, or whether you're just now joining us from the Trello Slack Community, we’ve got some exciting news about th...

1,652 views 17 27
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you