Failing to activate outlook add-in

Ackson Mapfundematsva October 21, 2019

I have the Trello Outlook add in but I am failing to login to trello. The screen below pops up when I attempt to login.

Trello login - outlook.png

I click login on this screen then the following message appears:

Trello login - outlook - fail.jpg

As a result, I can't add trello to my outlook. Anyone with a solution? Please assist.

Response from Microsoft below:

Hi, 

Yes, we are looking into this issue at the moment. The workaround is the following: 

First use Outlook on the web in another browser other than Internet Explorer using the following instructions: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/using-email-in-outlook-on-the-web-a096dc77-d053-4e04-864d-c278e5712ef9

Then you should be able to follow these instructions to install or use the Trello add-in https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Using-add-ins-in-Outlook-com-a5672109-e4f3-4119-abea-72323e9653cf. Once you do so, login to the Trello add-in on Outlook on the web. Afterwards, you should already be logged into the add-in in Outlook desktop. 

Thanks,

Petra

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mike
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 22, 2019

Hi Ackson,

The bad news is that Trello didn't develop, and importantly, doesn't maintain, the Outlook add-in—this is a Microsoft product, not a Trello product, and we don't have any ability to manage it or solve a problem like this. The problem is that Trello did deprecate support for Internet Explorer, and while your default browser might not be IE, Outlook is using IE, which won't work. The link we provide on that page is designed to get around that, but Outlook isn't correctly accepting the token to properly work around that.

trelloaddin@service.microsoft.com is the best place to reach for support directly about the Outlook add-in, and they'll be able to help!

Ackson Mapfundematsva November 10, 2019

Thank you, I will contact them

Helen Aasa November 20, 2019

Same error.. That sucks! Everything that is handed to Microsoft turns to merde.

Like Ackson Mapfundematsva likes this
Alf Müller December 5, 2019

Same error..

Like Ackson Mapfundematsva likes this
Ackson Mapfundematsva December 5, 2019

@Mike thanks for the assistance, I finally got a response today 6 December 2019 after over a month. @Helen Aasa @Alf Müller I have updated my question with the response I recieved from Microsoft.

Wojciech Zienkiewicz June 23, 2021

The solution provided by Microsoft doesn't work. Core problem that is causing this issue is that outlook i trying to use internet explorer internally. I've also tried to login to trello add-in using outlook web in chrome and edge (although i doubt there's ie involved there, so I've no idea what's causing the issue). All I got is a blank window instead of login form, just like on a pc app.

But I've managed to login using a mobile outlook app. After this trello add-in on my pc outlook app got logged in as well.

Like albert_ong likes this
albert_ong July 8, 2021

Confirmed @Wojciech Zienkiewicz's workaround works on Android Outlook.

I've managed to replicate it by:

1. Going to Outlook for Web on PC (as per these instructions)
  2. Open a new email and add the Trello Plug-in and attempt to link to my Trello/Atlassian login (this will take you to linking your account, but won't actually do it) (as per these instructions)
  3. Going on my phone to the Outlook app.
  4. Open an email and click on "create a new Trello card" in the options (three dots on top right of email).
  5. This opens up a prompt to log in again to Trello/Atlassian.  This will take you to linking your Trello account.  This time, the integration and linking works.
  6. This linkage then works on both Outlook Desktop and Outlook for Web.
  7. Creating your new card will add it to the top of your list.

I would probably check how the linkage is happening on the computer.  Something seems off there.

Benj September 29, 2021

I can't seem to log in, not sure if that is because I'm authenticating with AD FS or not. Just ends up on a page trelloaddin.azureedge.net that is completely blank. I have tried edge, chrome and firefox on desktop and tried using outlook on ios to do it also but to no avail, the same issue regardless. 

0 votes
Alysia Burdi November 16, 2021

I am trying to access Trello through outlook and each time I try to login or add an item, I receive this message: 

Invalid return_url. Wildcard ("*") allowed origins are no longer supported. Contact the developer. See https://community.developer.atlassian.com/t/52093

How do i fix this?  

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events