Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error when making cards via Trello Outlook add-in: "The card could not be added. Please try again!"

imchan.raman June 27, 2022

Hi guys,

I've been looking everywhere for a definitive answer for this question, but can't seem to find one. Out of the blue, Trello has stopped making cards via the Outlook add-in on 22/06/22 - with the error message "The card could not be added. Please try again!" appearing for users. I restarted Outlook and it's able to make cards again, though without the ability to add attachments to cards. The users are currently using a free plan for enterprise purposes - they previously utilised a Trello Gold plan prior to the discontinuation of it in August 2021.

I'm aware of the fact that Trello don't manage the Outlook add-in and rather Microsoft do, though has anyone experienced this issue and found a way to fix it?

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Alex Waite
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 5, 2022

Hey everyone, I'm afraid I don't have the best of news for you all. Microsoft has announced they plan on retiring the add-in by the end of the year. I recommend having a read through this article I published today. https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Trello-articles/The-Outlook-add-in-is-being-retired-here-s-what-you-need-to-know/ba-p/2125373

Ashley Cooke September 7, 2022

If thats the case there will be loads of businesses including myself who will be leaving trello am afraid!

imchan.raman September 7, 2022

Thanks for your reply Alex, much appreciated! It's unfortunate Microsoft are retiring the add in :(

2 votes
Jason Kaffenberger June 28, 2022

Same error here. Any insights?

Robert Murphy June 28, 2022

I'm having the same issue and we are on an Enterprise account with Enterprise seats.  

imchan.raman June 28, 2022

Nice to know you're experiencing the issue too - I've been looking through threads on threads trying to find a shred of info (and have sent an email Microsoft for support too). Fingers crossed we all get an answer!

Like Carol Magnani likes this
Karim Fillal July 2, 2022

same here - any suggestions yet? 

Matthias July 5, 2022

same here, no solution yet!

Cara Burch July 6, 2022

I'm experiencing the same issue. Would love a solution.  I use this option on a daily basis and having the attachments in the card is a great time saver.

laura_putre July 7, 2022

Same issue here. Started around the same time. I tried reaching out to Trello but they said it was a Microsoft issue.

Chris Campbell July 13, 2022

Same here, rather frustrating

Paul G personal July 25, 2022

Same here! can't add cards. I tried uninstalling and re installing add-in, and it worked for one card then stopped again

imchan.raman July 26, 2022

Update from Trello Support:

"Our partnerships team have gotten in touch with Microsoft on our end and are asking them to fix this issue. Unfortunately we can't promise that the issue will get fixed as this lies solely with Microsoft, and we do not have any sort of timeline or ETA. I'm sorry, this probably isn't what you want to hear!

Our recommendation is that instead of relying on a fix here from Microsoft, is that you pivot over to using our email to board feature native to Trello, which we support. Essentially, you can generate a unique email address for each of your boards, and from Outlook or any other email provider, you can send emails to this address and they'll turn into cards on your board. I'm not sure if this has the exact same functionality as the Outlook add-in, but should help you in the interim and also supports sending email attachments to cards which is the broken functionality in the Outlook add-in. We have an extensive help doc about this feature at https://support.atlassian.com/trello/docs/creating-cards-by-email/

If you do want to continue using the Outlook add-in, I'd recommend continuing to email Microsoft until they work on the fix, like we will do on our side. Again, I can't promise that Microsoft will fix the issue or will even reply, but we are asking them to fix the issue on their end. We have had reports of the Outlook add-in support email engineers saying that it is with us to fix - this is not the case and we are urging Microsoft to look into the issue."

Looks like we're out of luck until Microsoft do something about their broken add-in unfortunately everyone :(

Like Kathrin Moosmann likes this
Robert Murphy July 26, 2022

Is there an alternative email address other than trelloaddin@service.microsoft.com we use to communicate with Microsoft?  Microsoft does not reply to messages sent to this email address.

imchan.raman July 26, 2022

I'm not sure of an alternative email contact address unfortunately @Robert Murphy 

The Trello Support tech I was speaking to has said that they're urging Microsoft to do something, so I think we can only really hope for a fix at this point if we've done all we can to get in touch.

Alex Waite
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 26, 2022

Hey @imchan.raman - thanks for sharing my reply to the Community!

@Robert Murphy - the email you've linked is the only one we recommend reaching out to Microsoft on, and while replies will take a while, I do believe Microsoft will get back to you, but I have no clue about what their SLAs are. I believe if you reached out via their support portal for all products, the engineers there don't have knowledge of the Trello Outlook add-in. Please rest assured we're trying everything on our end to get Microsoft to fix this but it could take months, if it gets fixed at all, which is why we're asking users to pivot over to the email to board native feature in Trello, or a Power-Up. 

Like # people like this
Kathrin Moosmann August 31, 2022

hi all, the error is still happening and still not resolved. Key for my work to have this direct integration ... any work arounds using teams perhaps instead?  Appreciate support or reply.

First time Atlassian user, please ignore below answer - defo not an answer to this issue.

1 vote
Troy Lundblad September 2, 2022

Hi I'm finding that the plug-in isn't working if an attachment is involved.  But if there are no attachments in the email, then the plug-in works. If the email has an attachment and I uncheck the attachment box, then that also works.

Is everyone else experiencing the same limitation?

I'm on enterprise outlook in my office.

Tate Pearson September 3, 2022

Yes!  Nice interim fix!  Thank you.  

0 votes
Ashwini Chauhan January 11, 2023

SOLUTION (TEMPORARY BUT WORKS) 

Hi all,

I was also facing the same issue "Trello card could not be added. Please try again!" 

I was able to fix this by unchecking the box that says "Include email attachments" I think that's the bug which is causing the card to not be added to trello. Also it's past Dec15th and the add in is still working for me.  So try that! 

0 votes
Kathrin Moosmann August 31, 2022

hi all, the error is still happening and still not resolved. Key for my work to have this direct integration ... any work arounds using teams perhaps instead?  Appreciate support or reply.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events