Embed Image In A Card (not as attachment)

Sean M June 23, 2020

Hello Community! 

I seem to be running into a wall when trying to embed an image into a card. I've tried Dropbox and Google Drive. They both create sharable links but neither create a link that ends with the file name (.png, .jpg, etc...) as is what is apparently needed to make this work. What options are available that will allow me to embed the image in the card? I appreciate any help! 

![Alt text](/path/to/img.jpg) <-- this is the syntax I use, but the shareable links don't end in the filename. 

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 23, 2020

@Sean M the image needs to be attached to the card, rather than attaching a link to the image in Drive/Dropbox:

https://help.trello.com/article/769-adding-attachments-to-cards#:~:text=Click%20the%20front%20of%20the,desktop%20on%20to%20the%20card.

Sean M June 23, 2020

Brilliant! Thank you, Iain. I get it now! 

So, for anyone who is unclear as to how this works (as I was), here's how to embed the image in the card description:

• Attach the image to the card
    • screenshots or images loaded from your computer work best
    • DropBox and Google Drive create links that do not support embedding
  • Right-click the image in the attachments and copy link address
  • Paste the link address in the card description and then format it as such:
    • ![altText](yourlinkaddress.png) <-- the address must end in .png, .jpg, or a known image file name

Embed Image Syntax.png

Like # people like this
Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 24, 2020

Can I just add to this, that you can use the same syntax to insert gifs into the card description, and they look really cool!!

I use giphy.com, but any gif that has the right extension will work (and look awesome!).

Find the gif you want, open it in giphy, click on 'Copy link' and copy & paste the GIF link - that'll make it move in the card's description! (Remember that you have to click 'save' on the description to close the editing part down, you won't see it embed until you've done that!

Just thought I'd add that!

Esme :)

Like # people like this
Sean M July 4, 2020

That's great to know! Thanks for sharing that info, Esme.

Like Esme Crutchley likes this
mariasenyer March 14, 2023

Hi everyone!

I had been using this technique for some time, but now it apparently fails to load the images once saved, or at least for me (I am using Trello in the browser -- both in Chrome and in Firefox)

I don't know if maybe it is because of some new release, I just wanted to let you guys know, and maybe try to solve it. I use this quite a lot and I think it would be awesome if it worked again.

Thanks!

@Iain Dooley @Esme Crutchley 

mariasenyer March 14, 2023

Okay I found the problem myself haha
The images I was uploading to Trello and trying to embed in a card had in their names some kind of round brackets -- ( or ). Like ---> ![Alt Text](path/to/imagewithbrackets(1).jpg)

The link of the picture I was trying to embed had some round brackets, and I guess this was messing with the way Trello verifies its link and embeds it --> the ![Alt text](/path/to/image.jpg) formula.

I don't know if I explained clearly. Anyway, just to let you guys know, if anyone had this problem, just change the name of the file, with no round brackets this time, upload the image to the trello card again and then you can embed it with no further problem.

0 votes
Soumyadeep Mandal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 23, 2020

Hi @Sean M ,

Welcome to the community!

Basically as per as Trello features & functionality you can't add images in the description or in comments under any card of any Trello board! 

They will always gonna show something like this

![Alt text](/path/to/img.jpg) 

Sean M June 23, 2020

That's not what the Formatting Syntax reads. If that's the case, than they could save folks a lot of time and frustration by removing this:

Embed Image Syntax.png

Globe Wharf May 10, 2022

- A way that works to, is to attach your photo to the card.

- Then open the photo on the card, when the picture come up on the screen, click on the link at the bottom "open in new tab".

- Then copy the Trello address in the URL bar of the browser.

- Paste this into ![text](paste Trello URL bar address)

Bingo!! You have a great photo in your description 

Like Inácio Borges likes this
Inácio Borges September 19, 2022

@Globe Wharf, I did it and works fine, now i need to resize the picture
how can i do that? 

Like Slush likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events