Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email created card doesn't trigger automations

Ruben Centineo November 15, 2018

The cards created by email have different behave than the cards created in the board or by API.

Email created doesn't trigger scripts but the same script is triggered by API created cards

It happens with my own scripts, by IFTTT, by Zappier, by blockspring script, etc.

someone have an idea of why

Thanks

2 answers

0 votes
SHoehn April 5, 2022

@Ruben CentineoI've had the same issue and my workaround has been to add an "e-mailed to" list to my boards.  This is the list that all incoming e-mails get sent, and then I add an automation to the board to move all cards added to this list to a second list on that same board.  My IFTTT and Zapier automatons then trigger when the original card is moved to the second list.

Example, I have IFTTT send me an e-mail when a card is added to a list titled "Donation Request".  This e-mail is then auto forwarded to my todo list, so every time a donation request comes in, I get a task added to my todo list. 

There are 2 ways that cards get added to the "Donation Request" list, the first is when someone in our company manually adds a card.  When they do this, IFTTT sends me an e-mail which is then auto forwarded to my todo list and it shows up as a task.  The second way is if someone e-mails a donation request to the Trello board.  All e-mails to the Trello Board go into a list called "Donation Requests Mail To".  A Trello automation then automatically moves all cards from this list to the "Donation Request" list and IFTTT takes over from there, e-mailing me, which then gets auto forwarded to my task manager. 

By moving the cards to the "Donation Request" list, it seems to bypass the issue that IFTTT and Zapier don't seem to work with cards that are mail-created within a list.

0 votes
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 15, 2018

@Ruben Centineo the webhook notification sent by Trello when a card is emailed is different from the one sent when a card is created. Probably the integrations that you're using haven't taken that into account.

Ruben Centineo November 16, 2018

Thanks Iain,

what you mean with "haven't taken that into account."?

If I write the code how can I get this notification?

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 18, 2018

@Ruben Centineo this is the notification I get on the webhook subscribed to a board when I email a card in:

https://gist.github.com/iaindooley/1cd3974d8c74f011d3e11caaac57759c

notice that the translationKey attribute is "action_email_card"

Here is the notification I get on the webhook subscribed to the board when I create a card:

https://gist.github.com/iaindooley/776a217b47ac619f77dddb884acadb14

notice that the translationKey attribute is "action_create_card"

So whatever is processing the webhooks to react to cards being added needs to take into account both of those options when determining if this is a "card created" notification.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events